In this post we will be breaking down the best gyms in Detroit. Additionally we are going to try and discuss as much as we can about the local fitness scene.
We will go ahead and begin with the best Detroit gyms since they are probably why the majority of you ended up visiting our site. Once they have been listed and covered in full we will move on to the best studios for spinning or indoor cycling classes as well as our favorite boxing and MMA gyms in town.
The best yoga and pilates studios in the area will be up next. Workout bootcamps and barre exercises are getting more popular by the day so they definitely deserve a shout out too.
Many prefer to head outdoors on a sunny day and we will list plenty of good outdoor recreations areas in the region where you can do just that. And to finish everything off the best stores to buy sporting goods or home gym equipment near you will be how we end this.
But before we get out of here we will share a local fitness map so that you can get a better understanding of the lay of the land if necessary. You can look through more of our posts on the Midwest if you are interested.
Best Gyms In Detroit
You should always be able to get a great workout at any of these best gyms in Detroit:
- Boll Family YMCA at 1401 Broadway
- Detroit Body Garage at 8635 Mack Ave
- Harris Recreation & Fitness Center at 5210 Gullen Mall
- Grindtime Fitness at 18451 Wyoming Ave
- Proving Grounds Strength & Konditioning at 1600 Clay St #129
- Anytime Fitness 7580 E 9 Mile Rd, Warren
- Warren Community Center at 5460 Arden Ave, Warren
- Planet Fitness at 13255 15 Mile Rd, Sterling Heights
- Ford Community Center at 15801 Michigan Ave, Dearborn
Proving Grounds Strength & Konditioning and Anytime Fitness are a couple of good 24 hour gyms near you. There should be a pool for swimming laps and a basketball court at the Boll Family YMCA, Warren Community Center, and Ford Community Center.
Zumba or group aerobic dance classes can be found at Ford Community Center, Boll Family YMCA, and Warren Community Center. You can even find aqua cardio fitness classes at Boll Family YMCA and Warren Community Center.
The YMCA can provide childcare while you workout if needed. If you are after an indoor climbing gym try out the YMCA or Harris Fitness Center.
Spinning & Indoor Cycling Classes
Anyone that is trying to lose weight quick should check out these indoor cycling and spinning studios near you:
- Live Cycle Delight at 8019 Agnes St
- Vibe Ride at 1026 Randolph St
- Rebel Cycle Studio at 3401 E Lafayette St
- Cyclebar at 413 N Main St, Royal Oak
Outside of those cycling studios you can also try the spinning fitness classes at etroit Body Garage and the Boll Family YMCA.
Boxing & MMA Gyms Near You
Those who want some serious training can get it at these local boxing and MMA gyms:
- Jabs Gym at 2501 Russell St
- Cooper’s Gym at 16849 W Warren Ave
- Kung Fu Academy at 1353 Fisher Freeway
Yoga & Pilates Studios In Detroit
There are also many good yoga and pilates studios in Detroit like:
- Detroit Yoga Lab at 69 West Forest Ave
- Citizen Yoga at 1224 Library St
- Midtown Yoga Wellness Center at 55 West Canfield #1
- Equilibrium Pilates Studio at 6405 Telegraph Rd, Bloomfield Hills
There are also yoga and pilates classes at Harris Fitness Center and the Boll Family YMCA. Additional group yoga lessons are going down at Detroit Body Garage and Warren Community Center as well.
We hope you understand that there are far too many varieties of poses and techniques like vinyasa, hot, bikram hatha flow, ashtanga, power and many more for us to know exactly what you are after. The above studios should cover just about all of your needs.
Those who need a little extra motivation can get it by going to workout bootcamps and you can find some here like:
Barre exercise studios are getting more popular by the day and if you want to try one out head to:
- Detroit Barre at 2217 Franklin St
- Pure Barre at 1414 Griswold Ave
- The Barre Code at 855 S Main St, Royal Oak
Best Places For Outdoor Recreation
On a sunny day why not go hiking, ride bikes, or just be active at one of these outdoor recreation areas:
- The Detroit River
- Dequindre Cut
- Beacon Park
- Anna Scripps Whitcomb Conservatory
- Belle Isle
- Milliken State Park
- Kent Lake
- Kensington Metropark
- Rouge Park
Where To Buy Sporting Goods In Detroit
You may need to buy some things that will help you workout or visit the gym, and the best sporting goods stores in Detroit are:
- Vintage Detroit Collection at 1744 Michigan Ave
- Sports Mania at 400 Monroe
- Scout Shop at 1776 W Warren Ave
- Nike Community Store at 1261 Woodward Ave
- Rundetroit at 441 W Canfield St #5
- Moosejaw at 1275 Woodward Ave
- Dunham’s Sports at 26285 Hoover Rd, Warren
- Dunham’s Sports at 11950 Hall Rd, Sterling Heights
- Dick’s Sporting Goods at 13000 Hall Rd, Sterling Heights
- Finish Line at 18900 Michigan Ave #307, Dearborn
Home Gym Equipment Near You
American Home Fitness at 44937 Schoenherr Rd in Sterling Heights is a good place to buy home gym equipment near you. Of course some of those sporting goods stores will probably also sell home gyms and fitness equipment.
Just so you know we have also covered:
- The Cleveland Local Gym Scene
- The Grand Rapids Local Gym Scene
- The Columbus Local Gym Scene
- The Chicago Local Gym Scene
Enjoy Working Out At Detroit Gyms
Now that you have read about all of those gyms, spinning classes, yoga studios, outdoor recreation spots, and places to buy equipment for working out near you your confidence should be higher than ever before. Our readers would really appreciate it if you would let us know if we said anything incorrect or if you could share your own local fitness tips in the comments.
Have fun visiting the best gyms in Detroit or working out in whatever way you enjoy the most.