Over the next few minutes we will all be going on a deep dive into the best gyms in Ann Arbor and everything you need to know about fitness and working out near you. It won’t take us long cover the full spectrum for you.
The best local gyms will be the topic of our first section, but after that we still will have a lot to get to. We will talk about the best places to go for spinning and indoor cycling, as well as the best boxing and MMA gyms you will find in your area.
Up next we will get into the best pilates and yoga studios near you. Other topics on working out like bootcamps and barre exercises will be covered as the post goes along.
Of course you don’t always need to go to the gym to get a sweat in so some of the top outdoor recreation areas in the city will be listed as well. And following all of that we will talk about where you can buy sporting goods and home gym equipment in Ann Arbor.
Don’t leave before you see our area map towards the end that has all of these spots pinned, and can find all of our posts on the Midwest at this link if you have an interest in other cities in the region.
Best Gyms In Ann Arbor
Here is our list of the best gyms in Ann Arbor for working out:
- LA Fitness at 155 N Maple Rd
- Liberty Athletic Club at 2975 W Liberty Rd
- The WCC Health & Fitness Center at 4833 E Huron River Dr
- Ann Arbor YMCA at 400 West Washington St
- U of M North Campus Recreation Building (NCRB) at 2375 Hubbard Rd
- Wolverine Strength & Conditioning at 680 State Cir
- Fit2Live at 3951 Varsity Dr
- Orangetheory Fitness at 2246 S Main St
- Blue Lion Fitness at 401 S Maple Rd
- Planet Fitness at 2350 W Stadium Blvd
- Anytime Fitness at 3393 Plymouth Rd
- Planet Rock at 82 Aprill Dr C
LA Fitness features a swimming pool as well as a variety of fitness classes. Liberty Athletic Club has swimming pools, four tennis courts, a basketball court, and even a miniature golf course.
The Health & Fitness Center At Washtenaw Community College has a swimming pool, basketball court, and indoor track. The U of M NCRB has courts for basketball, badminton, and racquetball in addition to a swimming pool. Anyone who isn’t a University of Michigan student or Recreational Sports Club member can use the facilities by purchasing one or multi-visit guest passes.
The Ann Arbor YMCA has a swimming pool, basketball courts, and offers gymnastics. Anyone that is searching for a 24 hour gym near you can head to Planet Fitness or Anytime Fitness.
LA Fitness, Liberty Athletic Club, and U of M NCRB are good places to take zumba classes, while other varieties of cardio dance classes can be found at Liberty Athletic Club, U of M NCRB, Ann Arbor YMCA, and Peachy Fitness.
To get childcare while you work out head to Liberty Athletic Club, The WCC Health & Fitness Center, or the Ann Arbor YMCA. Liberty Athletic Club, U of M NCRB, and Planet Rock are local gyms with rock climbing walls.
Spinning & Indoor Cycling Classes Near You
Some of the best spinning and indoor cycling classes in your area can be found at:
Other places we have listed that also have spinning or indoor cycling include LA Fitness, Liberty Athletic Club, The WCC Health & Fitness Center, U of M NCRB, and 3N1 Fitness Revolution.
Boxing & MMA Gyms
Fighting can be another great way to get some cardio and the best boxing and MMA gyms in Ann Arbor are:
- Title Boxing Club Ann Arbor at 2115 W Stadium Blvd
- A-Square Fight Club at 3000 Packard St #B
- URSA Academy at 3981 Varsity Dr
- Final Round Mixed Martial Arts & Fitness at 3770 Plaza Dr
- Japanese Martial Arts Center at 2875 Boardwalk Dr #H
You can also try out the local boxing classes at U of M NCRB or the martial arts classes at Liberty Athletic Club and Ann Arbor YMCA.
Yoga & Pilates Studios In Ann Arbor
There are also many good yoga and pilates studios near you to get your fitness in like:
- aUM Yoga at 1220 S University Ave #210
- Red Yoga at 421 E Liberty St
- Peachy Fitness at 2385 S Huron Pkwy
- Pure Hot Yoga at 2450 W Stadium Blvd
- Ita Yoga Studio at 2745 Plymouth Rd
- Core Collective Ann Arbor at 1713 Plymouth Rd
- Club Pilates at 3370 Washtenaw Ave
Plenty of other gyms in your area offer yoga classes including LA Fitness, Liberty Athletic Club, The WCC Health & Fitness Center, U of M NCRB, Societe Indoor Cycling, and Ann Arbor YMCA. Plus you can find pilates classes at LA Fitness, Liberty Athletic Club, The WCC Health & Fitness Center, and U of M NCRB.
If you are after any specific pose or technique follows those links until you end up on the right studio for you. As much as we would like to give more detail when there are so many poses including vinyasa, hot, bikram hatha flow, ashtanga, power and many more it is impossible for us to break it all down.
Those who need a little extra motivation can get it by going to workout bootcamps and some of the best in town are:
- Ann Arbor Fit Body Boot Camp at 6095 Jackson Rd #200
- 3N1 Fitness Revolution at 1952 S Industrial Hwy #g
Wolverine Strength and Conditioning is another place to try a local workout bootcamp. 3N1 Fitness Revolution also has other fitness classes including spinning, yoga, and pilates.
Another way to workout that is growing in popularity is barre exercises and you can find them in your area at:
Other places that also have barre classes from our other lists include LA Fitness, Liberty Athletic Club, and U of M NCRB.
Best Places For Outdoor Recreation Near You
As we mentioned before the gyms in Ann Arbor are not the only places to workout. Many people prefer to run or ride bikes outside and some great places for outdoor recreation are:
- Bird Hills Nature Center
- Bog Trail
- Waterloo-Pinckney Trail
- Bluffs Nature Area
- Dolph Nature Area
- Island Lake Recreation Area
- Huron River Dr
- DTE Energy Foundation Trail
- Argo Park
- Gallup Park
- Seven Lakes State Park
- Lillie Park
- The Portage Lake Chain of Lakes
- Lake Erie
- Barton Nature Area
- Cherry Hill Nature Preserve
- Furstenberg Nature Area
- Hudson Mills Metropark
- Independence Lake County Park
Where To Buy Sporting Goods In Ann Arbor
You may need to buy some things that will help you work out or visit the gym, and the best sporting goods stores in Ann Arbor are:
- The M Den at 303 S State St
- Ann Arbor Running Company at 901 W Eisenhower Pkwy
- Dunham’s Sports at 217 N Maple Rd
- Play It Again Sports at 2461 W Stadium Blvd
- Dick’s Sporting Goods at 3120 Lohr Rd
- Moosejaw at 327 S Main St
- Cayman Sports at 516 S Maple Rd
- Sun & Snow Sports at 3780 Jackson Rd #j
Home Gym Equipment
Those sporting goods stores will likely have some home gym equipment, but you can also find more at:
Some of the stores from our last list also sell workout equipment like Dunham’s Sports, Play It Again Sports, and Dick’s Sporting Goods.
By the way we have also written about:
Enjoy Working Out At Ann Arbor Gyms
Well guys, for now that is all that we have to share with you. After reading about all of those gyms, spinning classes, yoga studios, outdoor recreation spots, and places to buy equipment for working out near you you should feel a lot better about what comes next. We will be back often to update this page so that these lists stay fresh.
If you think we got something wrong or if you have any of your own local fitness tips to add please use the comments at the bottom of this post to let us know. Have fun visiting the best gyms in Ann Arbor or working out in whichever way you prefer.