Hopefully you will learn a little something about the best gyms in Chicago by the time you finish reading this. Our only real goal is to cover the local fitness scene as well as we know how.
Jumping right into the best Chicago gyms seems like the right idea since they are probably why most of you found our site. After we have discussed them we will move on to the best studios for spinning or indoor cycling classes plus our favorite boxing and MMA gyms in your area.
Up next will be the best yoga and pilates studios around the city. These days workout bootcamps and barre exercises are getting quite trendy so they will need to be broken down too.
There are many good outdoor recreations areas in the region that will be perfect places to be active on a sunny day. And to get us out of here we will fill you in on the best stores to buy sporting goods or home gym equipment near you.
But before we wrap it all up there will be a local fitness map to help you get a better understanding of where all these places are. You can look through more of our posts on Midwestern cities if you are interested.
Best Gyms In Chicago
These best gyms in Chicago are places where you can expect to get a quality workout:
- East Bank Club at 500 N Kingsbury St
- XSport Fitness at 2310 W Logan Blvd
- Lakeview Athletic Club at 3212 N Broadway Ave
- Equinox Lincoln Park at 1750 N Clark St
- Ray Meyer Fitness Center at 2235 N Sheffield Ave
- West Loop Athletic Club at 1380 W Randolph St
- FFC Gold Coast at 1030 N Clark St #600
- Midtown Athletic Club at 2444 N Elston Ave
- FFC Oak Park at 1114 Lake St, Oak Park
- Anytime Fitness at 2412 W North Ave
- Iron Mine Gym at 6628 Irving Park Rd
- Loyola Center For Fitness at 2160 S 1st Ave #130, Maywood
Anytime Fitness or Iron Mine Gym are a couple of quality 24 hour gyms near you. Anyone that would like to swim laps in a pool or use a basketball court can do both at East Bank Club, XSport Fitness, Ray Meyer Fitness Center, both FFC locations, and The Loyola Center for Fitness. You can even find a tennis court at the East Bank Club.
There will be an indoor rock climbing wall at West Loop Athletic Club and FFC Oak Park. To try your hand at zumba or other group aerobic dance classes head to XSport Fitness, Lakeview Athletic Club, Ray Meyer Fitness Center, West Loop Athletic Club, both FFC locations, and the Loyola Center For Fitness.
And any parents who need childcare while they work out can get it at Ray Meyer Fitness Center.
Spinning & Indoor Cycling Classes Near You
When you want to lose weight quick visit one of these indoor cycling and spinning studios in your area:
Those are some really nice indoor cycling studios. Many of the best Chicago gyms also have group spinning fitness classes like East Bank Club, XSport Fitness, Lakeview Athletic Club, Equinox Lincoln Park, West Loop Athletic Club, both FFC locations, Midtown Athletic Club, and the Loyola Center For Fitness.
Boxing & MMA Gyms
There are some local boxing and MMA gyms that might be where you start your quest for the belt:
- Title Boxing Club at 313 South Peoria
- UFC Gym at 3519 N Clark St #201
- Titan Gym at 2256 W Belmont Ave
- Valko Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Academy at 820 N Orleans St
- Pow Gym at 310 S. Racine Ave
- Redzovic Jiu Jitsu School at 4900 N Lincoln Ave
- Chicago Mixed Martial Arts at 1528 N Halsted St
- EKF Martial Arts at 5951 N Clark St
Those who aren’t chasing the belt and just want cardio can try the boxing classes at East Bank Club, XSport Fitness, Lakeview Athletic Club, Ray Meyer Fitness Center, West Loop Athletic Club, both FFC locations, and Midtown Athletic Club.
Yoga & Pilates Studios In Chicago
For the best Chicago yoga and pilates studios head to:
- Zen Yoga Garage at 1845 N Milwaukee Ave
- CorePower Yoga at 1704 N Milwaukee Ave
- Bikram Yoga Chicago at 611 W Adams St
- Bare Feet Power Yoga at 1006 W Monroe St
- Bloom Yoga Studio at 4663 N Rockwell St
- Yoga Loft at 15 W Hubbard St Fl 4
- Studio 8 Pilates at 3656 N Lincoln Ave #F
- Frog Temple Pilates Studio at 1635 W Cortland St #2
- Sana Vita Studio at 1357 W Grand Ave
East Bank Club, XSport Fitness, Lakeview Athletic Club, Equinox Lincoln Park, Ray Meyer Fitness Center, West Loop Athletic Club, both FFC locations, Midtown Athletic Club, and the Loyola Center For Fitness also offer both pilates and yoga classes in your area for their members.
Unfortunately there are way too many varieties of poses and techniques like vinyasa, hot, bikram hatha flow, ashtanga, power and many more for us to list what all of the above studios have to offer. Click on their links and choose the one that looks like it is most suited for your needs.
Those who need a little extra motivation can get it by going to workout bootcamps and some of the best in town are:
Some of the best gyms near you like XSport Fitness and both FFC locations have workout bootcamps as well.
These barre exercise studios are a great place to get a toned body in a hurry:
- The Bar Method at 3144 N Sheffield Ave
- The Barre Code River North at 435 N Lasalle Blvd
- Pure Barre Lakeview at 3245 N Ashland Ave #1
Outside of those studios you can also find barre classes at East Bank Club, XSport Fitness, West Loop Athletic Club, Midtown Athletic Club, and both FFC locations.
Best Places For Outdoor Recreation Near You
These outdoor recreation areas are perfect for hiking, riding bikes, or being active on a sunny day:
- Lakefront Trail
- Des Plaines River Trail
- Forest Preserves of Cook County
- North Shore Channel Trail
- Salt Creek Trail
- Lincoln Park
- Lake Michigan
- Maggie Daley Park
- Millennium Park
- South Lake Shore Drive
- Bemis Woods
- Chicago Botanic Garden
- Hyde Park
- Oakwood Beach
Where To Buy Sporting Goods In Chicago
You will find plenty of new gear and equipment at these Chicago sporting goods stores:
- Strings Attached at 1369 W Fullerton Ave
- Grandstand Limited at 600 W 35th St
- Uncle Dan’s at 3551 N Southport Ave
- City Sports at 4520 N Broadway #1
- Yeti at 1572 N Milwaukee Ave
- Adidas Store at 845 N Michigan Ave #4065
- Dick’s Sporting Goods at 1100 S Canal St
- Play It Again Sports at 1908 Dempster St #C, Evanston
- Gunzo’s Sports Center at 7706 Madison St, River Forest
When you want to buy or sell new and used sporting goods head to Play it Again Sports.
Home Gym Equipment
That previous list will also have some, but you can buy more local home gym equipment at:
In case you might be interested we have also written about:
- Gyms & Yoga Studios in Milwaukee
- Gyms & Yoga Studios in Indianapolis
- Gyms & Yoga Studios in Detroit
- Gyms & Yoga Studios in St Louis
Enjoy Working Out At Chicago Gyms
Well guys, for now that is all that we have to share with you. After reading about all of those gyms, spinning classes, yoga studios, outdoor recreation spots, and places to buy equipment for working out near you you should feel a lot better about what comes next. We will update this page a few times a year so that these lists stay fresh.
It would really help us and all of our readers out if you would use the comments to let us know if there is anything wrong on this page or to share your own local fitness tips. Have fun visiting the best gyms in Chicago or working out in whichever way you prefer.