Last updated on March 3rd, 2021
Thanks for checking out our post on the best gyms in Akron and everything you need to know about working out near you. It will not take long at all for us to cover the full spectrum for you.
Akron’s best gyms will be where we begin but after that we still will have a lot to get to. We will talk about the best places to go for spinning and indoor cycling, as well as the best boxing and MMA gyms you will find here.
Up next we will get into the best pilates and yoga studios near you. Bootcamps and barre exercises will also be covered as the post goes along.
You don’t always need to go to the gym to get a sweat in so some of the top outdoor recreation areas in the city will be listed so you can get some sun on a nice day. And following all of that we will talk about where you can buy sporting goods and home gym equipment in Akron.
We will also be discussing nearby towns like Cuyahoga Falls and Farilawn so we have plenty to discuss. You can read more of our posts on working out around the Midwest at that link.
Best Gyms In Akron
Here is our list of the best gyms in Akron for working out:
- Shaw JCC at 750 White Pond Dr
- World Gym at 432 E Waterloo Rd
- Forever Fitness 24 at 1500 Canton Rd #110
- Planet Fitness at 120 Rothrock Rd
- Orangetheory Fitness at 34 North Hawkins Ave Ste 305
- Rock Mill Climbing, Yoga & Fitness at 677 Carroll St
- Natatorium Health & Fitness at 2345 Fourth St, Cuyahoga Falls
- LA Fitness at 1969 Portage Trl, Cuyahoga Falls
- Trak Athletics at 96 Shiawassee Ave, Fairlawn
Those of you who want a pool or a basketball court will want to go to Shaw JCC, Natatorium Health and Fitness Center, or LA Fitness. In fact Natatorium has a giant Olympic sized pool for any serious swimmers.
Obviously Rock Mill Climbing is where to go for indoor climbing and they have competitions throughout the year. Those who are looking for a 24 hour gym in Akron can go to Forever Fitness 24 or Planet Fitness.
Trak Athletics offers personal training, group training, and special classes for women.
Spinning & Indoor Cycling Classes Near You
Cycle Zone Studio at 3029 Smith Rd in Fairlawn is one of the top places for spinning near you.
Boxing & MMA Gyms
Fighting can be another great way to get some cardio and the best boxing and MMA gyms in Akron are:
- Akron Martial Arts at 2215 E Waterloo Rd
- Zahands Martial Arts at 1576 Akron Peninsula Rd
- David Ames Karate at 335 E Cuyahoga Falls Ave
- 9round at 55 Ghent Rd, Fairlawn
- World Kickboxing Academy at 2413 State Rd, Cuyahoga Falls
Zahands offers multiple kinds of martial arts like kickboxing and Jiu Jitsu and has classes for kids, teens, and adults. David Ames teaches karate and a handful of other MMA techniques.
9 Round offers 30 minute kickboxing cardio classes that will get you in shape real quick. World Kickboxing Academy specializes in Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai.
Yoga & Pilates Studios In Akron
The top yoga and pilates studios near you are:
- Release Yoga at 880 East Turkeyfoot Lake Rd
- Yoga Squared at 764 West Market St Suite B
- Yoga Bliss at 3045 Smith Rd #300
- Lifesource Yoga & Bodyworks at 55 Shiawassee Ave Ste 4, Fairlawn
- Club Pilates at 4223 E Royalton Rd, Broadview Heights
Rock Mill Climbing also has really good Yoga classes, and Natatorium offers Reformer Pilates. Release Yoga offers a wide variety of styles like hot, power, barre, and also does teacher training.
You can also find hot power yoga in Akron at Squared, along with many other varieties. The Sunday night Relax and Recharge classes at Bliss are just a small part of what they have to offer.
If you want some extra motivation you can get it by going to workout bootcamps and some of the best in town are:
- Summer’s Fitness at 8050 Frank Ave NW, North Canton
- Fit Life Gym at 2101 Front St, Cuyahoga Falls
- Burn Boot Camp Fairlawn at 33 Shiawassee Ave, Fairlawn
- Burn Boot Camp Stow at 1604 Norton Rd, Stow
The Gorilla Bootcamp at World Gym from the main list is also highly recommended and specializes in HIIT workouts, as does the bootcamp at Forever Fitness 24. Summer’s Fitness has been helping people in North Canton get in shape since 2007.
Fit Life offers large or small group training as well as nutrition coaching. The Burn Boot Camps in Fairlawn and Stow offer 45 minute training sessions for all experience levels.
Another way to workout that is growing in popularity is barre exercises and you can find them near you at:
Barre exercises are a great way to improve flexibility, endurance, strength, and burn fat all at the same time. Tru Barre in Akron has been open since 2014 and is still going strong today.
If you are new to this technique the Foundations classes at Pure Barre are a great way to learn, and then you can work your way up to some of their more intense lessons.
Best Places For Outdoor Recreation Near You
Akron gyms are not the only places for you to workout. Many people prefer to run or ride bikes outside and some great places for outdoor recreation are:
- Blue Hen Falls Trailhead
- Cuyahoga Valley National Park
- Boston Mills & Brandywine
- Brecksville Nature Center
- Cuyahoga River
- Brandywine Falls
- Stan Hywet Hall
- Summit Metro Parks
The trail at Blue Hen Falls is great for hiking, jogging, or biking. Boston Mills & Brandywine are where to go for skiing or snowboarding.
Where To Buy Sporting Goods In Akron
You may need to buy some things that will help you workout or visit the gym, and the best sporting goods stores in Akron are:
- Second Sole at 1466 N Portage Path
- Blimp City Bike & Hike at 1675 Merriman Rd
- Sun Valley Sports at 3900 Medina Rd #U
- Dicks Sporting Goods at 498 Howe Ave
- Play It Again Sports at 661 Howe Ave, Cuyahoga Falls
- Falls Wheel & Wrench Bike Shop at 2445 State Rd, Cuyahoga Falls
- Ritchie’s Sporting Goods at 137 South Ave, Tallmadge
If you want to buy or sell used sporting goods in Akron you can do so at Play It Again Sports. Dick’s Sporting Goods is your typical big box retailer that should have just about everything you need.
Second Sole specializes in running shoes and apparel. Sun Valley is good for all kinds of outdoor sports from skiing to skate boarding and more. Ritchie’s is great for team apparel, trophies, and just about anything you may need for youth sports.
Home Gym Equipment
Those sporting goods stores will likely have some home gym equipment, but you can also find more at:
- G&G Fitness Equipment at 3750 W Market St
- Health & Fitness Equipment Center at 4915 Whipple Ave NW, Canton
By the way we have also written about:
In case you want to compare the scene here to other towns near you.
Enjoy Working Out At Akron Gyms
After reading about all of those gyms, spinning classes, yoga studios, outdoor recreation spots, and places to buy equipment for working out near you you should be ready to get this going. We will be back often to update this page so that these lists stay as current as can be.
If you notice anything incorrect or if you have any of your own tips to add please use the comments at the bottom of this post to let us know. Have fun visiting the best gyms in Akron or working out in whichever way you prefer.