Thanks for checking out our post on the best gyms in Albany which we hope will cover everything you need to know about working out near you. Within a few short minutes you should have a much better understanding of the scene in full.
The best gyms in Albany will be where we begin but after that we still will have a lot to get to. We will talk about the best places to go for spinning and indoor cycling, as well as the best boxing and MMA gyms you will find here.
Up next we will dive into the best pilates and yoga studios near you. Other topics on working out like bootcamps and barre exercises will be covered as the post moves forward.
The gym isn’t your only option when you want to get a sweat in so some of the top outdoor recreation areas in the city will be listed as well. And after all of that is out of the way will talk about where you can buy sporting goods and home gym equipment in Albany.
Some of you may also want to read about more gyms in the Northeast and we have written about many towns at that link.
Best Gyms in Albany
Here is our list of the best gyms in Albany for working out:
- Best Fitness at 911 Central Ave Ste 17
- Healthy Living Center at 900 Central Ave
- Rudy A Ciccotti Family Recreation Center at 30 Aviation Rd
- Albany JCC at 340 Whitehall Rd
- CrossFit Shatter at 45 Railroad Ave
- Orangetheory Fitness at 1704 Western Ave
- Indoor Rockgym (A.I.R) at 4 Vatrano Rd Ste C
- Vent Fitness at 480 Balltown Rd, Schenectady
- Schenectady YMCA at 433 State St, Schenectady
- Planet Fitness at 660 Hoosick St, Troy
- Troy YMCA at 2500 21st St, Troy
Those of you who want to find a gym with a pool or basketball court can do so at Rudy Ciccotti Rec Center, Healthy Living Center, The JCC, Vent Fitness, or the YMCA’s. Of course the Indoor RockyGym is where you will want to go for climbing and they even have an indoor cave system and ziplining.
The Healthy Living Center not only has one of the best gyms near you but they can also help with meal planning. There are other Planet Fitness in your area like at Crossgates Commons Plaza, but we didn’t want to load up the list by mentioning the same chains over and over.
We do not know of any that are open 24 hours but if you need a gym with childcare you can go to BestFit or the Rudy Ciccotti Rec Center.
Spinning & Indoor Cycling Classes Near You
The Revolution Spin which you can find at 639 New Loudon Rd in Latham has some great indoor cycling classes that will get you in shape quick. Best Fitness also has their Spin Life Cycling Studio.
Boxing & MMA Gyms
Fighting can be another great way to get some cardio and the best boxing and MMA gyms in Albany are:
- Atlas Jiu Jitsu at 61 Colvin Ave
- Albany Strength at 527 Central Ave
- Empire Defense & Fitness Inc at 4 Walker Way, Colonie
- Brian Beaury Jiu Jitsu at 711 3rd Ave, Watervliet
Atlas Jiu Jitsu also has locations in Hudson and Glens Falls. Their Albany MMA gym is over 6,000 square feet and offers training in many kinds of mixed martial arts as well as strength training and even has yoga.
Strength is great for anyone that is really into weightlifting and supplements plus they have good Muay Thai classes. Speaking of Muay Thai you can find that at Empire along with Krav Maga, Jiu Jitsu, kickboxing, and more with classes for kids and adults.
Yoga & Pilates Studios In Albany
There are also many good yoga and pilates studios near you like:
- Heartspace Yoga & Healing Arts at 747 Madison Ave
- The Hot Yoga Spot at 1475 Western Ave
- The Good Karma Studio at 12 Walker Way
- The Pilates Principle at 578 New Loudon Rd, Latham
Best Fitness from the main list also has a hot yoga studio in Albany. Heartspace is great for Hatha, Kundalini poses and plenty more. Good Karma offers group fitness classes, kids classes, and their Circus Arts & Bungee classes are a favorite of many.
Those who need a little extra motivation can get it by going to workout bootcamps and CrossFit Shatter from our main best gyms near you list is known to have some great ones. They have been in business here since 2014 and also offer nutrition counseling.
Another way to workout that is growing in popularity is barre fitness exercises and Pure Barre at 579 Troy Schenectady Rd Unit 3A in Latham is a good place to go for beginners or more experienced people. Best Fitness from the first list also has a barre workout studio.
Best Places For Outdoor Recreation Near You
As we mentioned before the gyms in Albany are not the only places to workout. Many people prefer to run or ride bikes outside and some great places for outdoor recreation are:
- Albany Pine Bush Preserve
- Tompson Lake State Park
- Howe Caverns
- Thacher Park
- The Poestenkill Falls
- Christman Sanctuary
- Mohawk Hudson Land Conservancy’s
- Pine Hollow Arboretum
- John Boyd Thacher State Park
- Huyck Preserve
- The Crossings
- Ann Lee Pond Nature & Historic Preserve
- Lawson Lake County Park
- Wolf Creek Falls Preserve
- Washington Park
- Lincoln Park
- WildPlay Elements Park
Anyone who is interested in kayaking can do so at Tompson Lake State Park. Nine Corner Lake is also good for watersports, while those who want to go hiking or biking can have a great time at the Pine Bush Preserve, Thacher Park, or The Crossings.
WildPlay has ziplines and other types of outdoor recreation.
Where To Buy Sporting Goods In Albany
You may need to buy some things that will help you workout or visit the gym, and the best sporting goods stores in Albany are:
- Downtube Bicycle Works at 466 Madison Ave
- Eastern Mountain Sports at 1475 Western Ave Stuyvesant Plaza
- Ck Cycles at 1370 Central Ave
- Seasons Skate Shop at 211 Lark St
- L.L.Bean at 131 Colonie Center
- Fleet Feet at 155 Wolf Rd
- Dick’s Sporting Goods at 1 Crossgates Mall Rd
- Bridge Sports Inc at 38 Freemans Bridge Rd, Schenectady
- Famous Footwear at Mohawk Commons 430 Balltown Rd, Schenectady
- Tough Traveler at 1012 State St
Dick’s Sporting Goods near you in the Crossgates Mall is your typical big box retailer that has a wide selection, while the other locally owned stores will be where you can find more specialized products.
Home Gym Equipment
Those sporting goods stores will likely have some home gym equipment, but you can also find more by visiting Concepts In Fitness Equipment at 1545 Central Ave #5. By the way we have also written about gyms and the fitness scene in:
In case you want to learn about some other towns that aren’t terribly far away.
Enjoy Working Out At Albany Gyms
We wish we had more to share but for now that is all we have to offer. After reading about all of those gyms, spinning classes, yoga studios, outdoor recreation spots, and places to buy equipment for working out near you you should feel a lot better about what comes next. We will be back often to refresh this page so that these lists stay to do date.
If you notice anything that is incorrect or if you have any of your own tips to add please use the comments at the bottom of this post to let us know. Have fun visiting the best gyms in Albany or working out in whichever way you prefer.