We hope you will learn a little something about the best gyms in Boston while reading this post. Our only real objective is to cover the local fitness scene as well as we know how.
Jumping right into the best Boston gyms seems wise because they are probably what the majority of you are here for. After we have discussed them we will move on to the best studios for spinning or indoor cycling classes plus our favorite boxing and MMA gyms in the city.
Then we will get into the best yoga and pilates studios around your area. Workout bootcamps and barre exercises are getting quite trendy so they will need to be broken down too.
There are many good outdoor recreations areas in the region that will be perfect places to be active on a sunny day. And to get us out of here we will fill you in on the best stores to buy sporting goods or home gym equipment near you.
But before we wrap it all up there will be a local fitness map to help you get a better understanding of where all these places are. You can look through more of our posts on the Northeast if you are curious.
Best Gyms In Boston
Here is our list of the best gyms in Boston to get a quality work out:
- South End Fitness Center at 785 Albany St
- Boston Sports Club at 505 Boylston St
- YMCA of Greater Boston at 316 Huntington Ave
- Commonwealth Sports Club at 1079 Commonwealth Ave
- Equinox at 4 Avery St
- Planet Fitness at 17 Winter Pl
- Central Rock Gym at 99 Beverly St
- Cambridge Athletic Club at 215 1st St, Cambridge
- West Suburban YMCA at 276 Church St, Newton
- Life Time Athletic at 300 Boylston St, Newton
For anyone that needs to work out at odd hours and is searching for a 24 hour gym near you head to Planet Fitness. You should be able to swim laps in a pool or use the basketball court at just about all of the above.
However there is no pool at Cambridge Athletic Club or Planet Fitness, and no basketball court at Commonwealth Sports Club. You also will not find a pool or basketball at Central Rock Gym, but it is probably the best indoor rock climbing gym in your area.
If you are a parent who needs childcare while you work out you can find it at the YMCA’s and Equinox. There will be zumba or other aerobic dance classes at South End Fitness Center, and Commonwealth Sports Club.
Spinning & Indoor Cycling Classes
When you want to lose weight quick visit one of these indoor cycling and spinning studios near you:
Those indoor cycling studios are a great place to get a sweat in. Plus you can find group spinning fitness classes at many of the spots on our initial best gyms in Boston list like Commonwealth Sports Club, Equinox, West Suburban YMCA, and Life Time Athletic.
Boxing & MMA Gyms Near You
There are some local boxing and MMA gyms that might be where you start your quest for the belt:
- Everybodyfights at 15 Channel Ctr St
- Peter Welch’s Gym at 371 Dorchester Ave
- Back Bay Boxing at 350 Newbury St
- UFC Gym at 76 Lincoln St
- Title Boxing Club at 226 Causeway St
- Combat Sports Boston at 261 Friend St
- Jae H Kim Taekwon Do Institute at 102 Brookline Ave
Equinox also provides cardio boxing classes for their members.
Yoga & Pilates Studios In Boston
For the best Boston yoga and pilates studios head to:
- Swet Studio at 480 Tremont St
- Soma Yoga Center at 256 Hanover St Fl 3
- Btone Fitness at 30 Newbury St Fl 4
- Boston Body Pilates at 14 Newbury St Fl 4
- Endurance Pilates & Yoga Studio at 1636 Washington St
Plenty of the best gyms near you also have yoga and pilates classes like South End Fitness Center, Commonwealth Sports Club, Equinox, Cambridge Athletic Club, and the West Suburban YMCA.
There are additional group yoga lessons in your area at Central Rock Gym and Life Time Athletic. Unfortunately there are way too many varieties of poses and techniques like vinyasa, hot, bikram hatha flow, ashtanga, power and many more for us to list what all of the above studios have to offer.
Click on their links and choose the one that looks like it is most suited for your needs.
When you need a little extra motivation try a workout bootcamp:
- Barry’s Bootcamp at 30 Chauncy St
- Burn Fitness Studios at 547 Columbus Ave
- Burnin’ By Ray at 4 Church St, Belmont
Commonwealth Sports Club, Cambridge Athletic Club, and the West Suburban YMCA also provide workout bootcamps for their members.
Local barre exercise studios are a great place to get a toned body in a hurry:
- The Bar Method at 234 Clarendon St Fl 2
- Pure Barre at 350 Newbury St
- Barre Groove at 52 Province St #307
Outside of those studios you can also try the barre fitness classes at Commonwealth Sports Club and Life Time Athletic.
Best Places For Outdoor Recreation
These outdoor recreation areas are perfect for hiking, riding bikes, or being active on a sunny day:
- Freedom Trail
- Harbor Islands National Park
- Belkin Family Lookout Farm
- Boston Public Garden
- Boston National Historical Park
- Castle Island
- Common Frog Pond
- Blue Hills Reservation
- Charles River
Where To Buy Sporting Goods In Boston
You will find plenty of new gear and equipment at these Boston sporting goods stores:
- Marathon Sports at 671 Boylston St
- Patagonia at 346 Newbury St
- New Balance Factory Store at 173 Market St
- Nike at 200 Newbury St
- Beacon Hill Skate Shop at 135 Charles St S
- Hilton’s Tent City at 565 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge
- Boston Ski & Tennis at 153 Needham St, Newton
Home Gym Equipment Near You
You can buy all kinds of home fitness and gym equipment at Gym Source located at 106 Needham St in Newton. Of course there will be more home gyms available at some of the above sporting goods stores.
Just so you know we have also covered:
Enjoy Working Out At Boston Gyms
After thinking about all of those gyms, spinning classes, yoga studios, outdoor recreation spots, and places to buy equipment for working out near you your confidence should be sky high. It would really help us and all of our readers out if you would use the comments to let us know if there is anything wrong on this page or to share your own local fitness tips.
Have fun visiting the best gyms in Boston or working out in whatever way you enjoy the most.