We hope that you are all ready to join us for this deep dive into the best gyms in New York City. Our only real goal here is to cover the local fitness scene as well as possible.
We might as well get this going with the best New York City gyms since they are likely why you found our site in the first place. Once they have been listed and discussed in full we will move on to the best studios for spinning or indoor cycling classes as well as our favorite boxing and MMA gyms in your area.
Following that we will get into the best yoga and pilates studios in the city. A couple of types of fitness that are trending upwards are workout bootcamps and barre exercises so they will need to be broken down also.
When the weather is nice you may want to head outdoors so we will list plenty of good outdoor recreations areas in the region that will be perfect for that. And we will end this with the best stores to buy sporting goods or home gym equipment near you.
But before we wrap it all up there will be a local fitness map to help you get a better understanding of where all these places are. You can look through more of our posts on other cities around the Northeast if you are curious.
Best Gyms In New York City
Here is our list of the best gyms in New York for working out:
- Mercedes Club at 550 W 54th St 11th Ave, Manhattan
- Chelsea Piers Fitness at 60 Chelsea Piers, Manhattan
- 92nd Street Y at 1395 Lexington Ave, Manhattan
- Equinox at 160 Columbus Ave, Manhattan
- Liftonic at 13 Gansevoort St, Manhattan
- Brooklyn Boulders at 575 Degraw St, Brooklyn
- XSport Fitness at 200 Baychester Ave, The Bronx
- LA Fitness at 1776 Eastchester Rd, The Bronx
- Retro Fitness at 92-77 Queens Blvd, Queens
- Planet Fitness at 168-40 Jamaica Ave, Queens
- Intoxx Fitness at 2071 Clove Rd, Staten Island
- Orangetheory Fitness at 2409 Richmond Ave, Staten Island
- Long Island City YMCA at 32-23 Queens Blvd, Long Island City
- 24 Hour Fitness at 668 Central Park Ave, Scarsdale
- Sportset Health & Fitness Club at 60 Maple Ave, Rockville Centre
Those of you who need to work out at odd hours can find a good 24 hour gym near you by visiting 24 Hour Fitness. Anyone that wants to swim laps in a pool and use a basketball court can do both at Mercedes Club, Long Island City YMCA, XSport Fitness, Chelsea Piers Fitness, 92nd Street Y, 24 Hour Fitness, and Equinox.
Brooklyn Boulders would get our vote for the best indoor rock climbing gym in your area. You can find zumba or other group cardio dance classes at Mercedes Club, 92nd Street Y, Equinox, XSport Fitness, Vibez Studio, Sweet Water Dance & Yoga, Retro Fitness, Long Island City YMCA, and Sportset.
Any parents who need childcare while they work out can have it provided at the YMCA’s.
Spinning & Indoor Cycling Classes Near You
When you are trying to lose weight in a hurry head to one of these local indoor cycling and spinning studios:
- Peloton at 140 W 23rd St, Manhattan
- Soulcycle at 12 E 18th St, Manhattan
- Byklyn Cycle at 258 Flatbush Ave, Brooklyn
- Vibez Studio at 32-43 Francis Lewis Blvd, Queens
- Harlem Cycle Fitness Studio at 2350 Adam Powell Jr Blvd
Plus many of the best New York City gyms have group spinning classes like Mercedes Club, Chelsea Piers Fitness, 92nd Street Y, Equinox, XSport Fitness, Intoxx Fitness, Vibez Studio, Long Island City YMCA, and Sportset.
Whether you want to go to one of them or one of the above dedicated cycling studios is up to you.
Boxing & MMA Gyms
There are some boxing and MMA gyms in your area that might be where you start your quest for the belt:
- Rumble Boxing at 146 W 23rd St, Manhattan
- Work Train Fight at 636 Broadway Fl 2, Manhattan
- Church Street Boxing Gym at 25 Park Pl, Manhattan
- Anderson Martial Arts Academy at 412 Broadway Fl 2, Manhattan
- Clockwork Jiu Jitsu at 650 Broadway Fl 2, Manhattan
- Evolution Muay Thai at 109 W 25th St, Manhattan
- Morris Park Boxing Club at 644 Morris Park Ave, The Bronx
- Butch’s Boxing & MMA at 203-18 35th Ave, Queens
- F.C. Chaos Boxing & Fitness at 10 Brick Ct, Staten Island
- Supreme Team Boxing at 34-09 Queens Blvd, Long Island City
- UFC Gym Soho at 277 Canal St Fl 3, Soho
If you aren’t trying to be world champ and just want some cardio try the boxing fitness classes at Mercedes Club, Chelsea Piers Fitness, 92nd Street Y, and Sportset.
Yoga & Pilates Studios In New York City
For the best New York City yoga and pilates studios head to:
- Modo Yoga at 434 6th Ave Fl 2, Manhattan
- Humming Puppy at 119 W 23rd St Fl 2 #200, Manhattan
- Hot on Yoga at 115 W 27th St, Manhattan
- Power Pilates at 920 3rd Ave Fl 6, Manhattan
- BK Pilates at 16 W 23rd St, Manhattan
- Sweet Water Dance & Yoga at 876 Gerard Ave 2nd Fl, The Bronx
- Bikram Yoga Bronx at 5500 Broadway, The Bronx
- Body & Brain Yoga Tai Chi at 108-14 72nd Ave 3rd Fl, Queens
- Club Pilates at 70-39A Austin St, Queens
- Relax On Cloud 9 at 694 Clove Rd, Staten Island
- Some Like It Hot Yoga & Wellness at 181 New Dorp Ln, Staten Island
- Club Pilates at 2655 Richmond Ave, Staten Island
- PilatesWorks at 10-91A Jackson Ave, Long Island City
There are even more local yoga and pilates classes at Mercedes Club, Chelsea Piers Fitness, 92nd Street Y, Equinox, and Sportset. Plus there are group yoga lessons going down at Brooklyn Boulders, Retro Fitness, and XSport Fitness.
Unfortunately there are way too many varieties of poses and techniques like vinyasa, hot, bikram hatha flow, ashtanga, power and many more for us to list what all of the above studios have to offer. Click on their links and choose the one that looks like it is most suited for your needs.
Those who need a little extra motivation can get it by going to workout bootcamps and some of the best in town are:
- Barry’s Bootcamp at 135 W 20th St, Manhattan
- Dogpound at 1 Renwick St, Manhattan
- Warrior Fitness Boot Camp at 240 Wythe Ave, Brooklyn
- Fit Body Boot Camp at 3229 E Tremont Ave, The Bronx
- Transformation Fitness Studio at 1403 Richmond Ave, Staten Island
Many of the best gyms near you also provide workout bootcamps for their members like Mercedes Club, Brooklyn Boulders, Sweet Water Dance & Yoga, Long Island City YMCA, and Sportset.
These barre exercise studios are a great place to get a toned body in a hurry:
- Pure Barre at 554 Hudson St, Manhattan
- Pop Physique at 31 W 26th St Fl 2, Manhattan
- Barre3 at 63 W 8th St Fl 2, Manhattan
- Physique 57 at 180 6th Ave, Manhattan
- The Bar Method at 267 Pacific St, Brooklyn
- Xtend Barre at 147 Remsen St Fl 2, Brooklyn
- Barre3 at 44-16 23rd St, Long Island City
Outside of those studios you can also try the barre fitness classes at Mercedes Club, Chelsea Piers Fitness, Vibez Studio, Club Pilates, and the 92nd Street Y.
Best Places For Outdoor Recreation Near You
These outdoor recreation areas are perfect for hiking, riding bikes, or being active on a sunny day:
- Central Park
- Inwood Hill Park
- Wolfe’s Pond Park
- Gowanus canal
- Flushing Meadows Corona Park
- Prospect Park
- Van Cortlandt Park
- The Bronx River
- TriBeCa Park
Where To Buy Sporting Goods In New York
You will find plenty of new gear and equipment at these NYC sporting goods stores:
- Paragon Sports at 867 Broadway, Manhattan
- NYC Racquet Sports at 157 W 35th St, Manhattan
- Legends Sporting Goods at 8224 5th Ave, Brooklyn
- Brooklyn Running Co. at 222 Grand St, Brooklyn
- Panda Ski & Sport at 9213 5th Ave, Brooklyn
- Long Island Athletic Supply at 34 Hempstead Turnpike # B, South Farmingdale
Home Gym Equipment
That previous list will also have some, but you can buy more home gym equipment in your area at Fitness Showrooms at 134 West 26th Street in Manhattan.
By the way we have also written about:
- The Best Gyms In Newark
- The Best Gyms In Philadelphia
- The Best Gyms In Washington DC
- The Best Gyms In Boston
Enjoy Working Out At New York Gyms
Well guys, for now that is all that we have to share. You should be ready to take on the world after thinking about all of those gyms, spinning classes, yoga studios, outdoor recreation spots, and places to buy equipment for working out near you. We will be back often to update this page so that these lists stay fresh.
If you think we got something wrong or if you have any of your own local fitness tips to add please use the comments at the bottom of this post to let us know. Have fun visiting the best gyms in New York City or working out in whichever way you prefer.