Today we want to discuss the best gyms in New Haven as well as everything we know about working out near you. Our goal is to get you in and out as quick as we can.
Our first section will be all about the best gyms in New Haven. Once they are out of the way we will mention all the places you can go for spinning or indoor cycling classes, plus the best boxing and MMA gyms in town.
The best pilates and yoga studios in your area definitely will need to get a shout out. Plus we will discuss other subjects on working out like bootcamps and barre exercises.
For those who prefer to work out under the sun instead of the gym we have a lengthy list of outdoor recreation areas for you to choose from. And to wrap everything up we will list the best local stores to buy home gym equipment and sporting goods.
In case you were interested you can read more of our posts on cities around the Northeast that you can find there.
Best Gyms In New Haven
When you are ready to work out the best gyms in New Haven are:
- Payne Whitney Gym at 70 Tower Pkwy
- Active Wellness Holistic Fitness at 16 Fountain St
- Mactivity Fitness Center at 285 Nicoll St
- District Athletic Club at 470 James St #004
- Planet Fitness at 160 Amity Rd
- City Climb Gym at 342 Winchester Ave
- Tribury Regional YMCA at 136 W Main St, Waterbury
- The Edge Fitness Clubs at 125 Old Gate Ln, Milford
- LA Fitness at 1201 Boston Post Rd #2090, Milford
Anyone who wants both a pool and basketball court can get them at Payne Whitney Gym or the Tribury Regional YMCA. For group zumba and cardio dance classes head to Payne Whitney Gym, Mactivity Fitness Center or the Tribury Regional YMCA.
We don’t know of any that offer childcare or that are 24 hour gyms near you. City Climbing Gym is the best indoor rock climbing gym in your area.
Mactivity Fitness Center has won the poll for the Best of New Haven award three years in a row from 2017-2019. District Athletic Club has over one hundred group classes each week.
Spinning & Indoor Cycling Classes Near You
Joyride Cycling + Fitness at 199 Crown St would be the best fully indoor cycling studio in your area that we know about. You can also find more group spinning classes at Payne Whitney Gym, Mactivity Fitness Center, District Athletic Club, and Tribury Regional YMCA.
Boxing & MMA Gyms
You can find cardio fighting classes at many places, but if you want to get really technical you need to visit local boxing and MMA gyms like:
- Ronin Bjj at 175 State St #215
- Soulcraft Martial Arts at 1125 Dixwell Ave, Hamden
- Title Boxing Club Milford at 169 Cherry St, Milford
- Ultimate MMA & Jiu-jitsu Training Center at 79 State St, North Haven
There are also cardio boxing classes at Payne Whitney Gym, Active Wellness Holistic Fitness, Mactivity Fitness Center, and Tribury Regional YMCA from our main best New Haven gyms list.
Yoga & Pilates Studios In New Haven
You can also head to one of these yoga or pilates studios near you:
- Breathing Room Yoga at 817 Chapel St #2F
- Balanced Yoga Studio at 1079 Whalley Ave
- Fresh Yoga at 319 Peck St
- True Bikram Yoga at 59 Elm St
- New Haven Pilates at 319 Peck St
Payne Whitney Gym, Active Wellness Holistic Fitness, Mactivity Fitness Center, District Athletic Club, and Tribury Regional YMCA also offer both yoga and pilates classes in your area. Plus City climb gym has group yoga classes.
We don’t know if you prefer vinyasa, hatha flow, hot, bikram, power, ashtanga or other popular techniques so look around the above links and find the right match for your own personal needs.
One of these workout bootcamps may just give you that kick in the butt you need:
- Fit Pro Personal Training Studio at 160 Amity Rd
- Branford Fit Body Boot Camp at 885 W Main St #A, Branford
City Climb Gym also has popular workout bootcamps.
Barre exercises get more popular every day and in this town you can find them at:
Payne Whitney Gym, Mactivity Fitness Center, and District Athletic Club are also good places to find barre classes near you.
Best Places For Outdoor Recreation
Now you know about the best gyms in New Haven, but if you prefer to work out under the sun these outdoor recreation areas are great for hiking, running, or riding bikes:
- East Rock Park
- Edgerton Park
- Wooster Square Park
- Mill River
- Morris Creek
- Quinnipiac River
- West River
- Barnard Nature Center
- West Rock Nature Center
- Farm River State Park
- Edgewood Park
- Lighthouse Point Park
- Savin Rock Park
Where To Buy Sporting Goods In New Haven
When you need some new gear or equipment try one of these local sporting goods stores:
- The Devil’s Gear Bike Shop at 137 Orange St
- College Street Cycles at 252 College St
- L.L. Bean at 272 Elm St
- Racquet Koop at 908 Whalley Ave
- Bradley Street Bicycle Co-Op at 138 Bradley St
- Eblens at 60 Whalley Ave
- Tony’s Bikes & Sports at 108 Broad St, Milford
- Dick’s Sporting Goods at 1201 Boston Post Rd, Milford
Home Gym Equipment
Those sporting goods stores will likely have some home gym equipment, but you can also find more at Total Fitness Equipment at 575 Boston Post Rd.
In case you might be interested we have also written posts about:
Enjoy Working Out At New Haven Gyms
For now that is all that we have to share with you. After reading about all of those gyms, spinning classes, yoga studios, outdoor recreation spots, and places to buy equipment for working out near you you should feel a lot better about what comes next. We will be back often to update this page so that these lists stay fresh.
Please share your own local fitness tips or let us know if we got anything wrong in the comments. Have fun visiting the best gyms in New Haven or working out in whichever way you prefer.