Welcome to our post on the best gyms in Richmond and everything you need to know about working out around the area. We know your time is valuable so we will get you in and out as quick as we can.
To get things going we will dive right in to the best Richmond gyms. Once they are out of the way we will mention the best studios for spinning or indoor cycling classes, plus our favorite boxing and MMA gyms in your area.
We certainly won’t want to leave out the best pilates and yoga studios near you either. As the post goes on we will cover other topics on working out like bootcamps and barre exercises.
We all may love going to the local gym but it isn’t the only place to work out and we have lengthy list of outdoor recreation areas where you can get all kinds of great cardio. To end things the best stores to buy sporting goods or home gym equipment will be listed.
You may also want to read our other Northeast USA gym guides which you can find at that link.
Best Gyms In Richmond
When it is time to work out the best gyms in Richmond are:
- Cary Street Gym at 101 S Linden St
- American Family Fitness at 11760 W Broad St
- MCV Campus Recreation & Aquatic Center at 900 Turpin St
- Downtown Branch YMCA at 2 W Franklin St
- Gold’s Gym at 1601 Willow Lawn Dr #3A
- Crunch Fitness at 5750 Brook Rd
- Tuckahoe Family YMCA at 9211 Patterson Ave
- Atlee Station Family YMCA at 8017 Rutland Center Blvd, Mechanicsville
- Gold’s Gym at 7368 Bell Creek Rd, Mechanicsville
- ACAC Fitness and Wellness Center at 11621 Robious Rd, Midlothian
- Petersburg Family YMCA at 200-256 N Madison St, Petersburg
Those who need 24 hour gym access can get it at Gold’s Gym. The top four on the above list plus all of the YMCA’s should have both a pool and a basketball court.
Anyone who wants to try group zumba or cardio dances classes in your area can find them at Crunch Fitness, Gold’s Gym, ACAC Fitness Center, and the YMCA’s. The YMCA’s Gold’s, and Crunch Fitness all offer childcare while you work out.
Spinning & Indoor Cycling Classes
These indoor cycling and spinning classes near you can be a great way to enjoy your cardio:
- Boho Studios at 714 N Sheppard St
- Cyclebar at 301 Maltby Blvd #D
- Flow Cycle Studio at 4300 Pouncey Tract Rd
You can try more spinning classes at some of the above gyms like Cary Street Gym, MCV Campus Recreation Center, Gold’s Gym, Crunch Fitness, and the YMCA’s.
Boxing & MMA Gyms Near You
You can find cardio fighting classes at many places, but if you are hoping to improve your technique you should visit local boxing and MMA gyms like:
- Vintage Boxing Club at 1202 N Arthur Ashe Blvd
- Title Boxing Club at 2525 W Cary St
- Csc Rva MMA at 8032 W Broad St C
- MMA Institute at 6415 Jahnke Rd
There are also cardio boxing classes at the YMCA’s and Gold’s Gym.
Yoga & Pilates Studios In Richmond
There are also many good yoga and pilates studios in Richmond like:
- The Hot Yoga Barre at 1601 Willow Lawn Dr #200
- Project Yoga at at 6517 Dickens Pl
- Humble Haven Yoga at 13 S 13th Stn #100
- Hot Yoga Richmond at 3024 Stony Point Rd
- Hot House Yoga at 9665 W Broad St, Glen Allen
- Fighting Gravity Fitness at 1913 W Cary St #B
- Niche Pilates Studio at 2309 W Main St
For more group yoga and pilates classes in your area you can try out what they have to offer at ACAC Fitness Center, Crunch Fitness, and the YMCA’s. Gold’s Gym has yoga.
There are so many types of poses and techniques these days like vinyasa, hatha flow, hot, bikram, power, ashtanga or more and we really don’t know what you are after. It is probably best if you look at the links to the above studios and choose the right one for your personal needs.
Those who need a little extra motivation can get it by going to local workout bootcamps and you can find some here like:
- Rva Performance Training at 2522 Hermitage Rd #D
- Burn Boot Camp Short Pump at 3091 Lauderdale Dr, Henrico
Gold’s Gym and the YMCA’s also put on workout bootcamps.
Barre exercises are getting more popular by the day and good places to try them out are:
- Corner Barre at 3466 Lauderdale Dr
- The Barre Boutique at 407 East Canal St
- The Bar Method at 7007 1/2 Three Chopt Rd
- Barreva at 5711 W Broad St
- Pure Barre at 6235 River Rd
Some of the places from our best gyms in Richmond list also offer group barre workouts like Cary Street Gym, ACAC Fitness Center, Gold’s Gym and the YMCA’s. Plus you don’t want to forget about Hot Yoga Barre from the yoga and pilates section.
Best Places For Outdoor Recreation
Now you have read about the best Richmond gyms, but you can also work out under the sun at these outdoor recreation areas that are great for hiking, running, or riding bikes:
- Belle Isle
- James River & Trails
- The Manchester Climbing Wall
- The Virginia Capital Trail
- Williamsburg’s Freedom Park
- Pocahontas State Park
- Powhatan State Park
- Bear Creek Lake State Park
- Sailor’s Creek Battlefield State Park
- York River State Park
- Rockwood Park Trails
- North Anna Battlefield Park Trail
- Dutch Gap Trail
- Mid-Lothian Mines Park
- Three Lakes Park
- William Byrd Park
- Deep Run Park
Where To Buy Sporting Goods In Richmond
You may need to buy some things that will help you workout or visit the gym, and the best sporting goods stores in Richmond are:
- Disco Sports at 1400 Starling Dr
- Re-Cycles Bicycle Shop at 2621 W Cary St
- Road Runner at 3002 W Cary St
- Carytown Bicycle Company at 3112 W Cary St
- DICK’S Sporting Goods at 11800 W Broad St #1096
- Fleet Feet at 5600 Patterson Ave
- Famous Footwear at 7230 Bell Creek Rd #D, Mechanicsville
- Green Top Hunt Fish at 10150 Lakeridge Pkwy, Ashland
- Bass Pro Shops at 11550 Lakeridge Pkwy, Ashland
Home Gym Equipment Near You
Johnson Fitness & Wellness Store at 9462 W Broad St is a good place to buy home gym equipment plus some of the above sporting goods stores near you may also carry what you desire.
Just so you know we have also discussed the local fitness scene in:
Enjoy Working Out At Richmond Gyms
After learning about all of those gyms, spinning classes, yoga studios, outdoor recreation spots, and places to buy equipment for working out near you your confidence should be sky high. It would be quite helpful if you could share your own local fitness tips or let us know if we got anything wrong in the comments.
Have fun visiting the best gyms in Richmond or working out in whatever way you enjoy the most.