Our post on the best gyms in Albuquerque is also going to try and cover everything you need to know about working out near you. Within a few short minutes we will do our best to break down the full scene.
The best gyms in Albuquerque will be the topic of our first section, but after that we still will have a lot to get to. We will discuss the best places to go for spinning and indoor cycling, as well as the best boxing and MMA gyms you will find here.
Up next we will get into the best pilates and yoga studios in your area. Other work out topics like bootcamps and barre exercises will be covered as the post moves forward.
Obviously you don’t always need to go to the local gym to get a sweat in so some of the top outdoor recreation areas in the city will get a shout out. And following all of that we will talk about where you can buy sporting goods and home gym equipment in Albuquerque.
You may also want to look through some of our posts on working out around the Southwest.
Best Gyms In Albuquerque
Here is our list of the best gyms in Albuquerque for working out:
- Defined Fitness Sandia Club at 3301 Juan Tabo Blvd
- Chuze Fitness at 7400 Indian School Rd NE
- Del Norte Sports & Wellness at 7120 Wyoming Blvd NE Ste 8B
- Midtown Sports & Wellness at 4100 Prospect NE
- Riverpoint Sports & Wellness at 9190 Coors Blvd NW
- The Open Gym at 4200 Wyoming Blvd NE
- Planet Fitness at 3821 Menaul Blvd NE
- Stone Age Climbing Gym at 4130 Cutler Ave NE
- Iron Soul Gym at 2400 Menaul Blvd NE
- Anytime Fitness at 5708 McMahon Blvd NW
- Defined Fitness Hilltop Club at 4080 Ridge Rock Rd SE #528, Rio Rancho
- Elite Physique Gym at 1660 Rio Rancho Blvd SE Ste B, Rio Rancho
- Planet Fitness at 3391 Southern Blvd SE, Rio Rancho
All the gyms on the above list from Riverpoint Sports & Wellness and above should have pools if that is important to you. If you need a basketball court go to one of the three Sports & Wellness clubs that we have listed.
Stone Age Climbing Gym is New Mexico’s largest indoor climbing gym and is a very nice alternative health club. The Open Gym has been voted the best gym in Albuquerque before as recently 2018, and the Defined Fitness on Juan Tabo is the largest athletic club in the state.
If you need a 24 hour gym in your area head to Iron Soul or Anytime Fitness any time day or night. There are other Anytime Fitness and Planet Fitness locations in the metro area and they are all reliable, we just didn’t want to load the list up with the same names over and over.
Spinning & Indoor Cycling Classes Near You
Some of the best local spinning and indoor cycling classes for cardio can be found at places like:
- Cyclebar at 9900 Montgomery Blvd NE Ste B
- Cedarfit Body Transformation Center at 8000 Paseo Del Norte NE
Of course many of the best gyms from the main list also offer spinning classes, but the above two are known to be really good.
Boxing & MMA Gyms
Fighting is an underrated way to get some cardio and the best boxing and MMA gyms in Albuquerque are:
- Abq Kickboxing Luttrell/Yee MMA at 2820 Richmond Dr NE
- Jackson Wink MMA Academy at 301 Dr Martin Luther King Jr Ave NE
- 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Albuquerque at 3204 San Mateo Blvd NE
There are multiple places to go if you want to try and become the next MMA superstar or if you just find it as a great way to get a sweat in.
Yoga & Pilates Studios In Albuquerque
There are also many good yoga and pilates studios near you like:
- Elevation Yoga at 7410 Montgomery Blvd NE #102
- Hot Yoga Downtown at 724 Central Ave SE
- Blissful Spirits Hot Yoga at 4300 Paseo Del Norte NE
- Sweat Yoga Studio at 4500 Osuna Rd NE #200
- Bikram Yoga at 1100 San Mateo Blvd NE #2
- Bodylanguage Studio at 7321 San Antonio NE
- Club Pilates at 11008 Montgomery Blvd NE
Hot yoga is very popular in your area and all of the yoga studios on the list offer it. Blissful Spirts also offers pilates, and Sweat Yoga Studio offers some very good beginners classes.
Sometimes you need a kick in the butt to get motivated and you can get that by going to local workout bootcamps and some of the best in town are:
- Rio Rancho Fit Body Boot Camp at 1515 Golf Course Rd SE #106
Another way to workout that is growing in popularity is barre exercises and you can find them near you at:
Both of these places to do barre workouts in ABQ have a range of classes for total beginners all the way up to experts.
Best Places For Outdoor Recreation Near You
As we mentioned before working out at the best gyms in Albuquerque is far from your only option. Many people prefer to run or ride bikes under the sun and some great places for outdoor recreation are:
- Paseo del Bosque Trail
- Bentsen-Rio Grande Valley State Park
- Petroglyph National Monument
- Rio Grande Nature Center State Park
- Sandia Mountains
- La Luz Trail
- Valles Caldera National Preserve
- Sandia Lakes
- Tingley Beach
- Rio Grande River
- ABQ Biopark
If you are into biking we highly suggest the Paseo del Bosque Trail. Sandia Mountains are great for both skiing and hiking, the La Luz Trail will take you to the highest peak you can reach.
Tingley Beach is great for fishing, while kayaking or rafting on the Rio Grande can be a real rush.
Where To Buy Sporting Goods In Albuquerque
You may need to buy some things that will help you workout or visit the local gym, and the best sporting goods stores in Albuquerque are:
- Sport Systems at 6915 Montgomery NE
- Outdoor Regear at 4201 Yale Blvd NE Ste D
- Charlie’s Hunting & Fishing Specialists at 7600 Menaul Blvd NE
- Sportsman’s Warehouse at 1450 Renaissance Blvd NE
- Rei at 1550 Mercantile Ave NE
- Big 5 Sporting Goods at 2720 San Mateo Blvd NE
- Play It Again Sports at 7401 Menaul Blvd NE
- Cabela’s at 5151 Lang Ave NE
- Dick’s Sporting Goods at Coronado Center 6600 Menaul Blvd NE
- Big 5 Sporting Goods at 7800 Carr Way NE A, Rio Rancho
- Big 5 Sporting Goods at 2359 Main St NE, Los Lunas
Outdoor Regear, Charlie’s, Sportsman’s Warehouse, REI and Cabela’s are more geared towards hunting, fishing, and outdoorsy activities. Dick’s and Big 5 are more all around sporting goods stores.
Sports System is great for skiing, snowboarding, and cycling. Play It Again Sports is where you can go to buy or sell new and used sporting goods in Albuquerque.
Home Gym Equipment
Those sporting goods stores will likely have some home gym equipment in your area, but you can also find more at:
By the way we have also written about:
In case you want to compare the scene here to others in the region.
Enjoy Working Out At Albuquerque Gyms
At the moment that is all that we have to share with you but we will update this page a few times a year. After reading about all of those gyms, spinning classes, yoga studios, outdoor recreation spots, and places to buy equipment for working out near you you should feel a lot better about what comes next.
If you notice anything that is out of date or if you want to share your own tips please use the comments at the bottom of this post to let us know. Have fun visiting the best gyms in Albuquerque or working out in whichever way you prefer.