Thanks for checking out our post on the best gyms in San Diego. As the post moves forward we will also discuss everything we know about the local fitness scene.
We will go ahead and begin with the best San Diego gyms since they are probably why the majority of you ended up on this page. Once they have been listed and broken down we will move on to the best studios for spinning or indoor cycling classes as well as our favorite boxing and MMA gyms in town.
The best yoga and pilates studios in your area will be up next. Workout bootcamps and barre exercises are getting more popular by the day so they definitely deserve a shout out too.
Many prefer to head outdoors on a sunny day and we will list plenty of good outdoor recreations areas in the region where you can do just that. And to finish everything off the best stores to buy sporting goods or home gym equipment near you will be how we end this.
But before we get out of here we will share a local fitness map so that you can get a better understanding of the lay of the land if necessary. You can look through more of our posts on the Southwest if you are interested.
Best Gyms In San Diego
You can visit one of these best gyms in San Diego to get a great workout:
- Eōs Fitness at 3156 Sports Arena Blvd
- Mission Valley YMCA at 5505 Friars Rd
- Bay Club at 12000 Carmel Country Rd
- Toby Wells YMCA at 5105 Overland Ave
- Scripps Ranch Swim & Racquet Club at 9875 Aviary Dr
- Planet Fitness at 6501 University Ave
- 24 Hour Fitness at 7715 Balboa Ave
- Mesa Rim Climbing Center at 10110 Mesa Rim Rd
- Ecke YMCA at 200 Saxony Rd, Encinitas
- 24 Hour Fitness at 1265 Laurel Tree Ln #100, Carlsbad
Some of us need to work out at odd hours and if you need to find a 24 hour gym near you 24 Hour Fitness obviously can handle your needs. Anyone who wants to swim laps in a pool or use a basketball court can do both at the YMCA’s and Scripps Ranch.
Mesa Rim is definitely one of the best indoor rock climbing gyms in town. Zumba or other types of group aerobic dance classes can be found at Eōs Fitness, Mission Valley YMCA, Bay Club, Toby Wells YMCA, Scripps Ranch, and 24 Hour Fitness.
Eōs Fitness, Bay Club, and the YMCA’s can provide childcare while you work out if needed.
Spinning & Indoor Cycling Classes Near You
The classes at these indoor cycling and spinning studios in your area can help you lose weight quick:
You will definitely get a sweat in at the above indoor cycling studios. Many of the spots from our initial best San Diego gyms list also have group spinning classes like Eōs Fitness, Bay Club, the YMCA’s, Scripps Ranch, and 24 Hour Fitness.
Boxing & MMA Gyms
If you have dreams of being the next world champ head to one of these local boxing and MMA gyms:
- Boxing Club Sport & Fitness at 8650 Genesee Ave #206
- Victory MMA & Fitness at 3666 Midway Dr
- The Arena at 3350 Sports Arena Blvd
- Xplicit Fitness at 4780-C Mission Gorge Pl
- Title Boxing Club at 2852 University Ave
- CKO Kickboxing at 7094 Miramar Rd
- City Boxing at 1059 14th St
- San Diego Combat Academy at 6008 Mission Gorge Rd
Most reading this probably aren’t chasing the belt and if that is the case the cardio boxing classes at the YMCA’s, Bay Club, and 24 Hour Fitness can probably handle your needs.
Yoga & Pilates Studios In San Diego
You won’t be lacking for options but in our opinion the best San Diego yoga and pilates studios would be:
- Modo Yoga at 3091 Clairemont Dr
- Pilgrimage of the Heart Yoga at 3287 Adams Ave
- CorePower Yoga at 3918 30th St #110
- Riffs Yoga Studios at 4893 Voltaire St
- Pura Vida Yoga at 302 Island Ave #101
- Spirit Yoga at 1559 Garnet Ave
- Pilates Room Studios at 1400 Camino De La Reina #108
- Club Pilates at 4901 Morena Blvd #210
- WundaBar Pilates at 4653 Carmel Mountain Rd #309A
- Pilates Plus Pacific Beach at 1015 Turquoise St #1
Eōs Fitness, Bay Club, and 24 Hour Fitness provide both yoga and pilates classes in your area for their members. Mesa Rim Climbing Center also has group yoga lessons.
The thing is, there are way too many varieties of poses and techniques like vinyasa, hot, bikram hatha flow, ashtanga, power and many more for us to know which you will prefer. The above studios should cover just about all of your needs.
These local workout bootcamps should be able to provide the extra lift to get you through it:
- Renegade Fitcamp at 3445 Midway Dr #A
- Cali 4 Fitness Boot Camp at 1185 Morena Blvd
- Nxpt Fitness Studio at 5150 Murphy Canyon Rd #101
- Versatile Fitness at 2710 Garnet Ave #206
- Barry’s Boot Camp at 1220 Cleveland Ave M #109
Some of the best gyms near you also put on workout bootcamps like Eōs Fitnes and 24 Hour Fitness.
These barre exercise studios are a great place to get a toned body:
Plus there are barre fitness classes at Bay Club and 24 Hour Fitness.
Best Places For Outdoor Recreation Near You
When the weather is nice you can go hiking, ride bikes, or just be active at one of these outdoor recreation areas:
- La Jolla Sea Caves
- Balboa Park
- Cabrillo National Monument
- Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve
- La Jolla Shores Beach
- Old Town State Historic Park
Where To Buy Sporting Goods In San Diego
You may need to buy some things that will help you work out or visit the gym, and the best sporting goods stores in San Diego are:
- Charlie Rose at 9353 Clairemont Mesa Blvd #C
- Ocean Enterprises at 7710 Balboa Ave #101
- Big 5 Sporting Goods at 4838 Convoy St
- The Golf Mart at 15555 Jimmy Durante Blvd, Del Mar
- Play it Again Sports at 1401 Garnett Ave
- Hansen Surfboards at 1105 S Coast Hwy 101, Encinitas
- McGill’s Skate Shop at 335 S Coast Hwy 101 #S, Encinitas
If you want to buy or sell new and used sporting goods go to Play it Again Sports.
Home Gym Equipment
That previous list will have some options but you can buy more home gym equipment in your area at Fitness Direct at 8063 Balboa Avenue. In the past we have also discussed:
- Los Angeles Gyms & Fitness Studios
- Phoenix Gyms & Fitness Studios
- Las Vegas Gyms & Fitness Studios
- San Francisco Gyms & Fitness Studios
Enjoy Working Out At San Diego Gyms
Well guys, for now that is pretty much all we’ve got. Those gyms, spinning classes, yoga studios, outdoor recreation spots, and places to buy equipment for working out near you are ready and waiting. We will be back often to update this page so that these lists stay fresh.
You can really help us and all of our readers out by letting us know if there is anything wrong on this page or if you could share your own local fitness tips in the comments. Have fun visiting the best gyms in San Diego or working out in whichever way you prefer.