Welcome to our post that will be covering the best gyms in Houston in full detail for you today. We will also be discussing everything we know about the local fitness scene.
Jumping right into the best Houston gyms seems wise since they are probably why the majority of you ended up on this page. Once they have been listed and broken down we will move on to the best studios for spinning or indoor cycling classes as well as our favorite boxing and MMA gyms in town.
The best yoga and pilates studios in your area will be up next. Workout bootcamps and barre exercises are getting more popular by the day so they definitely deserve a shout out too.
Many prefer to head outdoors on a sunny day and we will list plenty of good outdoor recreations areas in the region where you can do just that. And to finish everything off the best stores to buy sporting goods or home gym equipment near you will be how we end this.
But before we get out of here we will share a local fitness map so that you can get a better understanding of the lay of the land if necessary. You can look through more of our posts on this area of the country if you are interested.
Best Gyms In Houston
You can visit one of these best gyms in Houston to get a great workout:
- Power House Gym at 1502 Ahrens St
- Tellepsen YMCA at 808 Pease
- Equinox River Oaks at 4444 Westheimer Rd
- LA Fitness at 2130 W Holcombe Blvd
- 24 Hour Fitness at 2500 Dunstan Rd
- Wise Learning & Sports at 8800 W Sam Houston Pkwy S #107
- Texas Rock Gym at 1526 Campbell Rd
- VillaSport Athletic Club at 4141 Technology Forest Blvd, Woodlands
- Anytime Fitness at 1251 Pin Oak Rd #113, Katy
If you work out at odd hours 24 Hour Fitness and Anytime Fitness are a couple of high quality 24 hour gyms near you. The Tellepsen YMCA and 24 Hour Fitness have both a pool for swimming laps and basketball court.
Tellepsen YMCA, Equinox, 24 Hour Fitness, and VillaSport Athletic Club all have zumba or other group aerobic dance classes. Texas Rock Gym would get the nod for best indoor rock climbing gym in town.
And any parents who need childcare while they work out can have it provided at the Tellepsen YMCA.
Spinning & Indoor Cycling Classes Near You
The classes at these indoor cycling and spinning studios in your area can help you lose weight quick:
Those indoor cycling studios are great spots to get your cardio. Plus there are more group spinning classes at some of the best Houston gyms like Power House Gym, Equinox24 Hour Fitness, and VillaSport Athletic Club.
Boxing & MMA Gyms
If you have dreams of being the next world champ head to one of these local boxing and MMA gyms:
- Heritage Muay Thai at 1604 W 34th St
- Baby Bull Boxing at 4701 Rose St
- Elite MMA at 3311 Richmond Ave #101
- O Athletik at 767 N Shepherd Dr
- Paradigm Training Center at 10500 W Bellfort Ave #200
- Urban Jungle Self Defense at 1035 W 18th St
- Bam Bam Martial Arts at 4007 Bellaire Blvd #II
Maybe the championship belt isn’t your goal and if so the cardio boxing classes at 24 Hour Fitness, Texas Rock Gym, and VillaSport Athletic Club might satisfy your needs.
Yoga & Pilates Studios In Houston
There are also many good Houston yoga and pilates studios to get your fitness in like:
- Republic Aerial Yoga at 1302 Houston Ave #600
- Hot Yoga Houston at 2438 South Blvd
- Big Power Yoga Montrose at 3115 Allen Pkwy
- Black Swan Yoga at 310 North St
- Good Space Pilates & Yoga Studio at 5757 Woodway Dr #150
- Citizen Pilates at 3217 Houston Ave
- Body Rock Pilates at 3460 Ella Blvd
- Pure Body Studio at 3865 Bellaire Blvd
- Boost Pilates The Heights at 3620 Katy Fwy
- 713 Pilates at 705 W Alabama St
The Tellepsen YMCA, Equinox, 24 Hour Fitness, Wise Learning & Sports, and VillaSport Athletic Club provide both yoga and pilates classes. You can even find more group yoga lessons at Power House Gym and Texas Rock Gym.
The thing is, there are way too many varieties of poses and techniques like vinyasa, hot, bikram hatha flow, ashtanga, power and many more for us to know which you will prefer. The above studios should cover just about all of your needs.
These workout bootcamps should be able to provide the extra lift to get you through it:
- Facet Seven Heights at 2215 Lawrence St
- The Core at 4665 Southwest Fwy
- Illuminate Fitness at 8570 Katy Fwy #116
- Fit Body Boot Camp at 5715 Richmond Ave
Some of the best gyms near you like the Tellepsen YMCA, 24 Hour Fitness, and Gibbs Rec Center put on workout bootcamps for their members as well.
These barre exercise studios in your area are a great place to get a toned body:
Other than those studios you can also try the group barre fitness classes at the Tellepsen YMCA, 24 Hour Fitness, and VillaSport Athletic Club.
Best Places For Outdoor Recreation Near You
When the weather is nice you can go hiking, ride bikes, or just be active at one of these outdoor recreation areas:
- Hermann Park
- Memorial Park
- Sam Houston National Forest
- Buffalo Bayou
- Jack Brooks Park
- Brazos Bend State Park
- Cypress Trails
Where To Buy Sporting Goods In Houston
There will be all kinds of new gear and equipment at these Houston sporting goods stores:
- Fleet Feet at 4502 Greenbriar Dr
- Whole Earth Provision at 2934 S Shepherd Dr
- Sun & Ski Sports at 6100 Westheimer Rd
- Budget Sporting Goods at 6611 Westcott St
- Rei at 7538 Westheimer Rd
- Academy Sports + Outdoors at 1360 Lake Woodlands Dr
- Dick’s Sporting Goods at 24600 Katy Fwy #1100A, Katy
Home Gym Equipment
The above stores will probably also have home gym equipment, but you can buy more at:
- Fitness Depot at 9881 Tanner Rd
- Busy Body Home Fitness at 6134 Westheimer Rd A
- Winston Fitness Equipment at 3618 S Shepherd Dr
By the way we have also written about:
- Gyms & Group Fitness Classes in Austin
- Gyms & Group Fitness Classes in San Antonio
- Gyms & Group Fitness Classes in Dallas
- Gyms & Group Fitness Classes in New Orleans
Enjoy Working Out At Houston Gyms
We wish we had more to offer but for now that is all we’ve got. After reading about all of those gyms, spinning classes, yoga studios, outdoor recreation spots, and places to buy equipment for working out near you you should feel a lot better about what comes next. We will be back often to update this page to keep these lists current.
You can really help us and all of our readers out by letting us know if there is anything wrong on this page or if you could share your own local fitness tips in the comments. Have fun visiting the best gyms in Houston or working out in whichever way you prefer.