Last updated on January 27th, 2021
This post on the best gyms in Charleston will try to fill you in on everything you need to know about fitness and working out. The best gyms near you will be the topic of our first section, but after that we still will have a lot to get to.
We will talk about the best places to go for spinning and indoor cycling, as well as the best boxing and MMA gyms in Charleston. Up next we will get into the best pilates and yoga studios near you.
Work out bootcamps and barre exercise classes will be covered as the post progresses. Getting some sun is always a good idea so we will also mention where to go for outdoor recreation.
And following all of that we will talk about where you can buy sporting goods and home gym equipment in Charleston. You can look through more of our posts on cities around the Southeast by clicking here.
Best Gyms In Charleston
When you are ready to work out head to the best gyms in Charleston like:
- MUSC Wellness Center at 45 Courtenay Dr
- St. Andrews Family Fitness Plus at 1642 Sam Rittenberg Blvd
- The Zoo Health Club at 2243 Ashley Crossing Dr
- Pivotal Fitness at 1401 Sam Rittenberg Blvd
- Big Work Fitness at 16 Conroy St
- Planet Fitness at 2070 Sam Rittenberg Blvd
- Gold’s Gym at 1291 Folly Rd
- Coastal Climbing at 708 King St
- CrossFit James Island at 1750 Signal Point Rd #6A
- Crunch Fitness at 7800 Rivers Ave #1300
- Planet Fitness at 2150 Northwoods Blvd
- Gold’s Gym at 5101 Ashley Phosphate Rd
- Summerville Family YMCA at 140 S Cedar St, Summerville
If you are looking for a 24 hour gym near you then sign up for The Zoo Health Club, Big Work Fitness, or any of the Planet Fitness locations. Those who want a pool and a basketball court can get them at the top two spots on the list as well as the YMCA in Summerville.
For zumba or cardio dance classes head to MUSC Wellness Center or Gold’s Gym, and MUSC also has water aerobics. Those who need childcare can find it at Gold’s Gym where there is a kids club from 9am to noon and 4pm to 7pm Monday through Friday, and on Saturday from 8am to 1pm.
CrossFit James Island even has crossfit classes for kids aged 5 to 12 years old. Coastal Climbing is your best indoor rock climbing gym, and Big Work Fitness is great for power weightlifting and bodybuilding.
Spinning & Indoor Cycling Classes Near You
Spinning and indoor cycling classes are a wonderful way to get your cardio:
MUSC Wellness Center, Zoo Health Club, and Gold’s Gym from our main best gyms near you list also have some form of group spinning or indoor cycling classes.
Boxing & MMA Gyms
These can be another fun way to get a sweat in and the best boxing and MMA gyms in Charleston are:
- Grit Box Fitness at 1650 Sam Rittenberg Blvd #11-16
- Black Label Martial Arts at 1850 Wallace School Rd #A
- Charleston Krav Maga & MMA at 1250 Wappoo Rd
- Tick-Tock Jiu-Jitsu at 7671 Northwoods Blvd H
- Title Boxing Club at 9500 Dorchester Rd #340, Summerville
- 9round at 569 Belle Station Blvd, Mt Pleasant
If you really want to become the next boxing or MMA star go with one of the above. MUSC Wellness Center and Zoo Health Club offer cardio boxing classes.
Yoga & Pilates Studios In Charleston
When you want to visit a good yoga or pilates studios near you try:
- Mission Yoga at 125 Spring St
- Yoga Factory at 1738 Signal Point Rd
- Charleston Power Yoga at 557 King St
- Holy Cow Yoga & Holistic Center at 10 Windermere Blvd
- Pilates of Charleston at 716 S Shelmore Blvd #100, Mt Pleasant
- Breathe Pilates at 624 Long Point Rd, Mt Pleasant
We aren’t really sure whether you want to find vinyasa, hatha flow, hot, bikram, power, ashtanga or other popular techniques so look around the links to those Charleston yoga and pilates studios to find the right one for your needs.
MUSC Wellness Center, Pivotal Fitness and Gold’s Gym offer both, while you can find yoga classes at the Zoo Health Club.
Those who need a little extra motivation can get it by going to workout bootcamps and some of the best in town are:
- James Island Fit Body Boot Camp at 915 Folly Rd
- Burn Boot Camp at 1440 Ben Sawyer Blvd #900, Mt. Pleasant
- Mt Pleasant Fit Body Boot Camp at 1113 Market Center Blvd #B
MUSC Wellness Center and Gold’s Gym from our initial best Charleston gyms list have boot camps.
Barre exercises near you can be found at:
- Pure Barre at 164-C Market St
- Studio Barre James Island at 1956 Maybank Hwy
- Barre3 at 484 King St
- Pure Barre Mt Pleasant at 919 Houston Northcutt Blvd, Mt Pleasant
MUSC Wellness Center, the Zoo Health Club and Gold’s Gym also offer group barre fitness classes.
Best Places For Outdoor Recreation Near You
Getting some sun is another great way to stay healthy. Many people prefer to run or ride bikes outside instead of always going to Charleston gyms and some great places for outdoor recreation are:
- Stono River
- Folly Beach
- Francis Marion National Forest
- Caw Caw County Park
- Folly Beach County Park
- James Island County Park
- Palmetto Islands County Park
- Battery & White Point Gardens
- Hampton Park
- Edisto Beach
Where To Buy Sporting Goods In Charleston
You may need to buy some gear or apparel to help with your work out at the gym and the best sporting goods stores in Charleston are:
- Haddrell’s Point Tackle & Supply at 47 Windermere Blvd
- Half-Moon Outfitters at 94 Folly Rd Blvd
- Yeti at 360 King St
- Dick’s Sporting Goods at Citadel Mall, 2070 Sam Rittenburg Blvd
- Field & Stream at 4956 Centre Point Dr
- T & T Sports at 5064 Rivers Ave
- Nike Factory Store at 4840 Tanger Outlet Blvd #491
- Play It Again Sports at 1035 Johnnie Dodds Blvd, Mount Pleasant
- Fleet Feet at 117 E Richardson Ave, Summerville
At Play It Again Sports you can buy new or used sporting goods, as well as sell your old equipment. The closest Dick’s Sporting Goods near you is your typical big box retailer that should have a wide variety to choose from.
Home Gym Equipment
Those sporting goods stores will likely have some home gym equipment, but you can also find more at Charleston Fitness Equipment. By the way we have also written about:
Enjoy Working Out At Charleston Gyms
Now that you have read about all of those gyms, spinning classes, yoga studios, outdoor recreation spots, and places to buy equipment there really are no reasons why you should miss your next work out. We will do our best to update this page often.
We could use your help with that so if you think we got something wrong or if you have any of your own local fitness tips to add please use the comments to do just that. Have fun visiting the best gyms in Charleston or working out in whichever way you prefer.