Over the next few minutes you will be going on a deep dive into the best gyms in Athens, Georgia and everything you need to know about fitness and working out near you. It won’t take us long cover the full spectrum for you.
The best gyms in Athens will be the topic of our first section, but after that we still will have a lot to get to. We will talk about the best places to go for spinning and indoor cycling, as well as the best boxing and MMA gyms you will find in your area.
Up next we will get into the best pilates and yoga studios near you. Other topics on working out like bootcamps and barre exercises will be covered as the post goes along.
Of course you don’t always need to go to the gym to get a sweat in so some of the top outdoor recreation areas in the city will be listed as well. And following all of that we will talk about where you can buy sporting goods and home gym equipment in Athens.
Don’t leave before you see our area map towards the end that has all of these spots pinned, and you are also welcome to check out our other posts on working out around the Southeast at that link if you are interested.
Best Gyms In Athens
Here is our list of the best gyms in Athens for working out:
- Athens Health & Fitness at 2361 W Broad St
- Athens YMCA at 915 Hawthorne Ave
- YWCO at 562 Research Dr
- Crunch Fitness at 196 Alps Rd
- Fitness @ Five at 1260 S Milledge Ave
- CrossFit Liberate at 425 E Dougherty St
- Strength & Strike Fitness at 2440 W Broad St #12
- Orangetheory Fitness at 196 Alps Rd
- Planet Fitness at 3658 Atlanta Hwy #O
- Anytime Fitness at 3190 Atlanta Hwy
- Active Climbing at 665 Barber St
Both a pool and basketball courts are available at Athens Health & Fitness and your local YMCA. Anyone that likes to work out at odd hours can head to Crunch Fitness, Fitness @ Five, Planet Fitness, and Anytime Fitness which are good 24 hour gyms in your area.
Active Climbing is one of the best indoor rock climbing gyms near you. Zumba classes can be found at Athens Health & Fitness while other types of cardio dance classes are available at YWCO.
Athens Health & Fitness, Athens YMCA, and YWCO can provide childcare while you work out if needed.
Spinning & Indoor Cycling Classes Near You
Some of the best spinning and indoor cycling classes for cardio near you can be found at:
- Pūrvelo at 235 Oconee St J
- Classic City Cycling at 230 W Clayton St
You can also try the group spinning and indoor classes at a few spots from the best gyms list like Athens Health & Fitness and Athens YMCA.
Boxing & MMA Gyms
Fighting can be another great way to get some cardio and the best boxing and MMA gyms in Athens are:
- Keppner Boxing & Fitness at 1550 Lexington Rd
- 9Round Athens at 2080 Timothy Rd #B
- SBG Athens at 240 Collins Ind Blvd #g
- X3 Sports at 2026 S Milledge Ave #A1
- AKF Athens Martial Arts at 2415 Jefferson Rd
Athens Health & Fitness and Strength & Strike Fitness are a couple of more places to find boxing classes in your area.
Yoga & Pilates Studios In Athens
There are also many good yoga and pilates studios near you to get your fitness in like:
- M3Yoga at 149 Oneta St #6E2
- Five Points Yoga at 1260 S Milledge Ave e1
- Revolution Therapy & Yoga at 675 Pulaski St #1400
- Fuel Hot Yoga at 398 Foundry St
- Club Pilates at 290 Alps Rd
Local yoga classes also take place at Athens Health & Fitness, Athens YMCA, YWCO, Strength & Strike Fitness, CrossFit Liberate, and X3 Sports. In addition the Athens YMCA and YWCO both offer pilates classes.
If you are after any specific pose or technique follows those links until you end up on the right studio for you. As much as we would like to give more detail when there are so many poses including vinyasa, hot, bikram hatha flow, ashtanga, power and many more it is impossible for us to break it all down.
Those who need a little extra motivation can get it by going to workout bootcamps and some of the best in town are:
- Athens Fit Body Boot Camp at 3569 Atlanta Hwy
- Burn Boot Camp at 1720 Epps Bridge Pkwy #115
More options for workout bootcamps can be found at Athens YMCA and X3 Sports.
Pure Barre at 191 Alps Road #17 is a good dedicated studio and we have also linked you to Athens Health & Fitness, Athens YMCA, and YWCO who all offer barre fitness classes.
Best Places For Outdoor Recreation Near You
As we mentioned before the gyms in Athens are not the only places to workout. Many people prefer to run or ride bikes outside and some great places for outdoor recreation in this area of Georgia are:
- Oconee Rivers Greenway
- Sandy Creek Park
- Ben Burton Park
- Walker Park
- Birchmore Trail
- Lake Herrick
- Truckers Trail
- Sandy Creek Nature Center
- Firefly Trail
- Dudley Park
- Bishop Park
Where To Buy Sporting Goods In Athens
You may need to buy some things that will help you work out or visit the gym, and the best sporting goods stores in Athens are:
- Academy Sports + Outdoors at 3505 Atlanta Hwy
- Dick’s Sporting Goods at 1791 Oconee Connector #120
- Fleet Feet Athens at 1694 S Lumpkin St
- Hibbett Sports at 3700 Atlanta Hwy #88
- Georgia Cycle Sport at 1029 Baxter St
Home Gym Equipment
If you want to buy home gyms and fitness equipment Academy Sports + Outdoors and Dick’s Sporting Goods are two places to look. By the way we have also written about:
Enjoy Working Out At Athens Gyms
Well guys, for now that is all that we have to share with you. After reading about all of those gyms, spinning classes, yoga studios, outdoor recreation spots, and places to buy equipment for working out near you you should feel a lot better about what comes next. We will be back often to update this page so that these lists stay fresh.
If you think we got something wrong or if you have any of your own local fitness tips to add please use the comments at the bottom of this post to let us know. Have fun visiting the best gyms in Athens, Georgia or working out in whichever way you prefer.