Last updated on February 24th, 2021
Hello and welcome to this post on the best gyms in Birmingham and everything there is to know about fitness and working out near you. It will not take long for us to cover the full spectrum for you.
The best gyms in Birmingham will be where we begin but we won’t be stopping there. We will talk about the best places to go for spinning and indoor cycling, as well as the best boxing and MMA gyms you will find here.
Up next we will get into the best pilates and yoga studios near you, plus we will discuss workout bootcamps, barre exercises, and outdoor recreation areas.
Following all of that we will talk about where you can buy sporting goods and home gym equipment in Birmingham. If you want to read more of our posts about working out around the United Kingdom you can do so at that link.
Best Gyms In Birmingham
We will begin this post with our list of the best gyms in Birmingham for working out:
- Bannatyne at 3 Brunswick Arcade Brindleyplace
- North Solihull Sports Centre at Conway Rd Fordbridge
- Ultimate Fitness at 100 Holloway Head
- Temple Gym at 19 Kenyon St
- Puregym at 1 Snow Hill Plaza, St. Chads Queensway
- The Gym Kings Heath at Unit 1A Findlay Rd, High St
- Jd Gym at Allesley Street Off the Newton Middleway
- Rigs Fitness at 4 Willersey Rd
- The Depot Climbing Centre at 10 Sherlock St
- Creation Climbing Centre at 582 Moseley Rd Balsall Heath
If you need a 24 hour gym near you head to Puregym or The Gym Kings Heath. North Solihull Sports Centre has childcare and tennis courts.
Those who want a pool and basketball court can find both at Jd Gym, The Gym, and Rigs. Bannatyne does have a pool. Ultimate Fitness is great for serious bodybuilding and weightlifting as it is owned by former British Bodybuilding Champion Simon Fan.
The same is true of Temple Fitness which is owned by 6-time Mr. Olympia Dorian Yates. If you want to find a gym with good zumba classes you can head to Puregym or Jd Gym.
Rigs won the National Gym of the Year Award in 2018 and has been voted best regional gym a few times as well. Ultimate Fitness was named The Best Independent Gym in the Midlands at the UK Fitness Awards.
For an indoor climbing gym go to The Depot Climbing Centre or Creation Climbing Centre.
Spinning & Indoor Cycling Classes Near You
Yoga & Spin located at Moseley Cricket Club 247 Alcester Rd S is known to have great spinning classes near you. You can also get more cardio by doing group indoor cycling classes at Bannatyne, Puregym or Jd Gym.
Boxing & MMA Gyms
This is one of our favorite ways to get our cardio and the best boxing and MMA gyms in Birmingham are:
- D & A Boxing School Of Excellence at 29B Mary Vale Rd
- Black Widow Martial Arts Academy at 858 Washwood Heath Rd
- Henrietta Street Gym at Derwent Works 6 Henrietta St
- Pat Benson Boxing Academy at 50 Adderley St
- K-Star Thai Boxing Academy at 54 College Rd
- The Eagle Kickboxing Academy at 21a St Helens Passage
- Team Renegade BJJ at 157 High St King’s Heath
- Gracie Barra at 1 Stanhope St
Jd Gym also has some very good boxing cardio classes.
Yoga & Pilates Studios In Birmingham
If you want to find the best yoga and pilates studios near you head to:
- Barefoot Yoga Studio at 7 High St Harborne
- Yoga Sweat at 66-68 Severn St
- Yogahaven at 64 Livery St
- Birmingham Pilates Studios at Studio 318 Zellig 4 Gibb St, Deritend
Puregym and Jd Gym from the best Birmingham gyms list have both yoga and pilates classes, while you can do more yoga at Bannatyne. The yoga and pilates studios from the above list will have various techniques like vinyasa, bikram, hot or power, ashtanga and more which you can read about at their links.
We all need to be motivated from time to time and workout bootcamps will definitely get you going:
- Bodysharp Studio Fitness Academy at 30 Chester St, Aston
- Mix It Up at 20 Mole St, Sparkbrook
- Battle Bootcamp
Jd Gym from our best near you list also puts on quality bootcamps.The Battle Bootcamps are often held at Pype Hayes Park.
Another way to workout that is growing in popularity is barre exercises and Pilates Lounge at 32 High St in Sutton Coldfield is a great place to find barre workouts near you. You can also try the wide variety of Les Mills classes at Bannatyne and Jd Gym.
Best Places For Outdoor Recreation Near You
As we mentioned before the gyms in Birmingham are not the only places to workout. Many people prefer to run or ride bikes outside and some great places for outdoor recreation are:
- Birches Valley Forest Centre
- Edgbaston Reservoir
- Sandwell Valley
- Cannock Chase
- Perry Park
- Cannon Hill Park
- Sutton Park
- Lickey Hills
- Woodgate Valley
- Clent Hills
- Sandwell Valley
The Edgbaston Reservoir is great for water sport like canoeing, sailing, kayaking, rafting and more. If you are into mountain biking head to Sandwell Valley, and Perry Park has a really nice BMX track.
Where To Buy Sporting Goods In Birmingham
You may need to buy some things that will help you work out or visit the gym, and the best sporting goods stores in Birmingham are:
- Boundary Sports at 206 Station Rd Kings Heath
- Maurice Robinson Sports at 4 York Rd
- Racket Line at 84 Bristol St Edgbaston
- Up & Running at The Grand, 29 Colmore Row
- Jd Sports at 1 New St
- Cotswold Outdoor at 105 New St, Piccadilly Arcade
Cotswold Outdoor is the largest outdoor sporting goods store in Birmingham, while Maurice Robinson Sports has been around since 1948.
Home Gym Equipment
Jll Fitness Ltd at 31 Gravelly Industrial Park is a great place to buy home gym equipment and you can probably find more at those sporting goods stores we just listed. You may also want to learn more about:
In case you want to compare the fitness scene here to other towns around the UK.
Enjoy Working Out At Birmingham Gyms
You just learned a lot about gyms, spinning classes, yoga studios, outdoor recreation spots, and places to buy equipment for working out near you and you should be ready what comes next. We will do our best to update this page often so the info stays current.
If we weren’t right about something or if you have any of your own local fitness tips to add please use the comments at the bottom of this post to let us know. Have fun visiting the best gyms in Birmingham, UK or working out in whichever way you prefer.