In this post we hope to fill you in on the best gyms in Virginia Beach as well as everything we know about working out near you. Hopefully we can get you in and out as quick as possible.
To kick things off we will jump right in to the best gyms in Virginia Beach. After they have been covered in full we will mention all the places you can go for spinning or indoor cycling classes, plus our favorite boxing and MMA gyms in the area.
We certainly can’t forget about the best pilates and yoga studios near you. Plus we will discuss other subjects on working out like bootcamps and barre exercises.
The gym is cool but it isn’t the only place to work out and we have lengthy list of outdoor recreation areas where you can bike, hike, or get whatever kind of cardio you desire. Finally we will delve into stores to buy home gym equipment and sporting goods.
We will not only be covering the beach area but also some big towns near you like Norfolk and Chesapeake. Some may also be interested in reading our other posts on Northeastern cities that you can find there.
Best Gyms In Virginia Beach
When you are ready to work out the best gyms in Virginia Beach are:
- Onelife Fitness at 2844 Virginia Beach Blvd
- The Iron Asylum Gym at 2400 Castleton Commerce Way #606
- Princess Anne Recreation Center at 1400 Nimmo Pkwy
- Great Neck Recreation Center at 2521 Shorehaven Dr
- Planet Fitness at 3877 Holland Rd #426
- Orangetheory Fitness at 2111 Princess Anne Rd #106
- Virginia Beach Rock Gym at 5049 Southern Blvd
- Blocker Norfolk Family YMCA at 312 W Bute St, Norfolk
- The Kroc Center at 1401 Ballentine Blvd, Norfolk
- Onelife Fitness at 1900 Monticello Ave, Norfolk
- Onelife Fitness at 4628 Portsmouth Blvd, Chesapeake
- Greenbrier Family YMCA at 1033 Greenbrier Pkwy, Chesapeake
Anyone who is trying to find a 24 hour gym can go to Iron Asylum. All of the above should have both a pool and a basketball court except for Iron Asylum and Onelife Fitness in Norfolk.
Those who are interested in taking group zumba or cardio dance classes can find them at any of the Onelife Fitness Centers, Orangetheory Fitness, and the Blocker Norfolk Family YMCA.
If you need childcare while you workout then you can head to the Kroc Center or one of the YMCA’s.
Spinning & Indoor Cycling Classes
Cyclebar located at 2217 Upton Dr #810 would be the top rated indoor cycling studio near you. Plus you can find group spinning classes at other places from our main list like the Onelife’s, Blocker Norfolk Family YMCA, Greenbrier Family YMCA, and The Kroc Center.
Boxing & MMA Gyms Near You
You can find cardio fighting classes at many places, but if you want to get really technical you need to visit boxing and MMA gyms like:
- East Side Muay Thai at 1577 General Booth Blvd #104
- UFC Gym Virginia Beach at 550 First Colonial Rd
- Eastern Academy of Mixed Martial Arts at 3900 Bonney Rd #213
- Impact Martial Arts Academy at 3877 Holland Rd #511
- Ilovekickboxing at 2704 Virginia Beach Blvd
- Diego Bispo Academy at 865 Chimney Hill SC
- 9Round Fitness at 2301 Urchin Rd
The Onelife Fitness Centers also have cardio boxing classes.
Yoga & Pilates Studios In Virginia Beach
There are also many quality yoga and pilates studios in Virginia Beach like:
- Torch Yoga at 4864 Shell Rd
- Sandbridge Yoga at 2528 Las Brisas Dr
- Studio Bamboo Yoga at 2861 Lynnhaven Dr #108
- Hot Yoga Studio at 2734 Virginia Beach Blvd
- Atma Bodha Yoga at 2728 North Mall Dr #110
- Hot House Yoga at 1952 Laskin Rd #507
- Pilates-4-Virginia Beach at 2224 Virginia Beach Blvd
- Pilates Fitness Club at 700 19th St #101
The YMCA’s and Onelife Fitness Centers also have both yoga and pilates classes. The Kroc Center has pilates.
We don’t know if you prefer vinyasa, hatha flow, hot, bikram, power, ashtanga or other popular techniques so look around the above links and find the right match for your own personal needs.
One of these workout bootcamps may just give you that kick in the butt you need:
- Burn Boot Camp at 2181 Upton Dr 412
- Pride Fitness at 3501 Holland Rd #117a
- Salem Fit Body Boot Camp at 2029 S Lynnhaven Pkwy
Once again the Onelife Fitness Centers and YMCA’s put on workout bootcamps as well.
Pure Barre which you can visit at 741 First Colonial Rd #104 would get our nod for best barre fitness studio in Virginia Beach. There are also group barre exercise classes at other gyms near you like The Kroc Center, the Blocker Norfolk Family YMCA, and the Onelife’s.
Best Places For Outdoor Recreation
Now you know about the best gyms in the area, but you can also work out under the sun at these outdoor recreation areas that are great for hiking, running, or riding bikes:
- Virginia Beach
- First Landing State Park
- Mount Trashmore
- Great Dismal Swamp National Park
- False Cape State Park
- Croatan Beach
- Lynnhaven River
- Chesapeake Bay
Where To Buy Sporting Goods In Virginia Beach
When you need some new gear or equipment try one of these sporting goods stores:
- Great Outdoor Provision Co. at 1556 Laskin Rd
- Running Etc at 1940 Laskin Rd #302
- Tula Adventure Sports at 2100 Marina Shores Dr #3
- Endurance Apparel &Gear at 502B Hilltop Plz
- Rei at 350 Independence Blvd
- Dick’s Sporting Goods at 701 Lynnhaven Pkwy #1001
- Running Etc. at 1707 Colley Ave, Norfolk
- Hibbett Sports at 2360 E Little Creek Rd, Norfolk
- East Coast Bicycles at 1910 Colley Ave, Norfolk
- Field & Stream at 1501 Sentinel Dr #B, Chesapeake
- Dick’s Sporting Goods Chesapeake at 1501 Sentinel Dr #A, Chesapeake
Home Gym Equipment Near You
Johnson Fitness & Wellness at 4000 Virginia Beach Blvd #112 sells plenty of home gym equipment and you can probably find more at some of the above sporting goods stores.
In case you might be interested we have also written:
- Richmond Local Gym Guide
- Washington DC Local Gym Guide
- Baltimore Local Gym Guide
- Raleigh Local Gym Guide
Enjoy Working Out At Virginia Beach Gyms
Now that you have read about all of those gyms, spinning classes, yoga studios, outdoor recreation spots, and places to buy equipment for working out near you your confidence should be sky high. We would love it if you could share your own local fitness tips or let us know if we got anything wrong in the comments.
Have fun visiting the best gyms in Virginia Beach, Norfolk, and Chesapeake or working out in whatever way you enjoy the most.