The best gyms in San Francisco will be covered in full right here over the next few minutes. Additionally we are going to try and break down as much as we can about the local fitness scene.
We will go ahead and begin with the best San Francisco gyms since they are probably why the majority of you found our site. Once they have been listed and discussed we will move on to the best studios for spinning or indoor cycling classes as well as our favorite boxing and MMA gyms in your area.
The best yoga and pilates studios in town will be up next. Workout bootcamps and barre exercises are getting more popular by the day so they definitely deserve a shout out too.
Many prefer to head outdoors on a sunny day and we will list plenty of good outdoor recreations areas in the region where you can do just that. And to finish everything off the best stores to buy sporting goods or home gym equipment near you will be how we end this.
But before we get out of here we will share a local fitness map so that you can get a better understanding of the lay of the land if necessary. You can find our other posts on gyms in Oakland and San Jose at those links.
Best Gyms In San Francisco
You can visit one of these best gyms in San Francisco to get a great workout:
- Millberry Fitness & Rec Center at 500 Parnassus Ave
- Bay Club at 150 Greenwich St
- The JCC at 3200 California St
- Chinatown YMCA at 855 Sacramento St
- Fitness SF at 1001 Brannan St
- Presidio Community YMCA at 63 Funston Ave
- Embarcadero YMCA at 169 Steuart St
- Bakar Fitness & Rec Center at 1675 Owens St
- 24 Hour Fitness at 1850 Ocean Ave
- Mission Cliffs Climbing & Fitness at 2295 Harrison St
- Bay Club Fremont at 46650 Landing Pkwy, Fremont
- Smash Gyms at 28460 Hesperian Blvd, Hayward
- The Big C Athletic Club at 1381 Galaxy Way, Concord
24 Hour Fitness is obviously a 24 hour gym near you for those who like to work out at odd hours. There should be a pool for swimming laps and a basketball court at the YMCA’s, the Bay Clubs, the JCC, Millberry Fitness Center, Bakar Fitness Center, and Big C Athletic Club.
Anyone interested in zumba or group aerobic dance classes can try them out at Millberry Fitness Center, the JCC, Big C Athletic Club, and the Bay Clubs. Mission Cliffs would get our vote for the best indoor rock climbing gym in your area.
Parents who are trying to find childcare while they work out should be able to get it at Millberry Fitness Center, the Bay Clubs, the JCC, and the YMCA’s.
Spinning & Indoor Cycling Classes Near You
These indoor cycling and spinning studios in your area can help you lose weight quick:
You can definitely get a sweat in at those indoor cycling studios. Plus many of the best San Francisco gyms from our main list have group spinning classes like Millberry Fitness Center, the Bay Clubs, The JCC, Fitness SF, the YMCA’s, and Big C Athletic Club.
Boxing & MMA Gyms
If you have dreams of being the next world champ head to one of these boxing and MMA gyms:
- 3rd Street Boxing Gym at 2576 3rd St
- Hit Fit SF at 1150 Sutter St
- Rise Combat Sports at 123 S Van Ness Ave
- Rumble Boxing at 180 Sansome St #100
- World Muay Thai Team USA at 445 Judah St
- El Niño Training Center at 2920 3rd St
Millberry Fitness Center, the Bay Clubs, and The JCC have cardio boxing classes if you aren’t chasing the belt and just want to work out.
Yoga & Pilates Studios In San Francisco
You won’t be lacking for options but in our opinion the best yoga and pilates studios near you would be:
- Yoga Garden SF at 286 Divisadero St
- Satori Yoga Studio at 110 Sutter St #100
- Ritual Hot Yoga at 1122 Howard St
- Mission Yoga at 2390 Mission St #200
- The Mindful Body at 2876 California St
- Hot Yoga Seacliff at 5644 Geary Blvd
- Fluid Yoga at 455 Judah St
- Mighty Pilates at 3654 Sacramento St
- Mercury Fitness Pilates Center at 2904 Laguna St
Additional yoga and pilates classes can be found at Millberry Fitness Center, the Bay Clubs, The JCC, Presidio Community YMCA, Embarcadero YMCA, and Big C Athletic Club.
The thing is, there are way too many varieties of poses and techniques like vinyasa, hot, bikram hatha flow, ashtanga, power and many more for us to know which you will prefer. The above studios should cover just about all of your needs.
These workout bootcamps should be able to provide the extra lift to get you through it:
The Bay Clubs and Fitness SF also provide workout bootcamps for their members.
Barre exercise studios are a great place to get a toned body and Pure Barre at 3727 Buchanan Street is one of your best options. With that said you can also try out the local group barre classes at Millberry Fitness Center and the Bay Clubs.
Best Places For Outdoor Recreation Near You
When the weather is nice you can go hiking, ride bikes, or just be active at one of these outdoor recreation areas:
- Muir Woods
- Golden Gate Park
- Billy Goat Hill
- Angel Island
- Fort Funston
- Mt. Tamalpais
- The Presidio
- Ocean Beach
- Coit Tower
- Lake Merced Park
- Glen Canyon Park
- Mt. Sutro Open Space Reserve
Where To Buy Sporting Goods In San Francisco
There will be all kinds of new gear and equipment at these San Francisco sporting goods stores:
- Sports Basement at 1590 Bryant St
- Last Minute Gear at 3156 24th St
- Burton at 1630 Haight St
- Lost Coast Outfitters at 540 Jackson St
- Big 5 Sporting Goods at 1533 Sloat Blvd
- Adidas at 865 Market St #121 & 211
- Rei at 43962 Fremont Blvd
- Fremont Sports Plus at 19367 Mission Blvd, Hayward
- Heads Up Sports at 785 Oak Grove Rd, Concord
- Play it Again Sports at 1150 Contra Costa Blvd, Concord
Play it Again Sports is a great place to buy and sell new or used sporting goods in your area.
Home Gym Equipment
The 360 Fitness Superstore located at 727 Francisco Blvd E in San Rafael is a great place to buy home gym equipment in your area. Of course the above sporting goods stores will probably have some home gym and fitness equipment as well.
By the way we have also written about:
Enjoy Working Out At San Francisco Gyms
Well, for now that is pretty much all we know. After reading about all of those gyms, spinning classes, yoga studios, outdoor recreation spots, and places to buy equipment for working out near you you should feel a lot more confident about what comes next.
You can really help us and all of our readers out by letting us know if there is anything wrong on this page or if you could share your own local fitness tips in the comments. Have fun visiting the best gyms in San Francisco or working out in whichever way you prefer.