Thanks for checking out our post on the best gyms in Newark and everything you need to know about working out near you. Within a few short minutes we will cover the full spectrum for you.
The best gyms in Newark will be the topic of our first section, but after that we still will have a lot to get to. We will talk about the best places to go for spinning and indoor cycling, as well as the best boxing and MMA gyms you will find here.
Up next we will get into the best pilates and yoga studios near you. Other topics on working out like boot camps and even barre exercises will be covered as the post goes along.
Of course you don’t always need to go to the gym to get a sweat in so some of the top outdoor recreation areas in the city will be listed as well. And following all of that we will talk about where you can buy sporting goods and home gym equipment in Newark.
We have written about gyms all over the Northeast and you can find more of our guides right here.
Best Gyms in Newark
Here is our list of the best gyms in Newark for working out:
- Ironbound Fitness at 115 Ferry St
- Club Metro USA at 18 Oliver St
- Planet Fitness at 520 Broad St
- Evolution Fitness at 102-108 Monroe St
- Blink Fitness at 2-14 Ferry St
- Colosseum Gym at 525 Irvington Ave
- Planet Fitness at 12 Sussex Ave, East Orange
- The Gravity Vault at 1423 Clinton St, Hoboken
- LA Fitness at 175 Passaic Ave, Kearny
If you want to do some serious weightlifting and bodybuilding then Ironbound is probably the right gym for you. Club Metro and Colosseum both offer zumba classes and Colosseum has a special ladies only workout section.
For a Newark gym with childcare try out Evolution Fitness. For indoor climbing you can go to Gravity Vault which has two levels with over 25,000 square feet of climbing walls.
A lot of people are looking for 24 hour access. If you know of any quality 24 hour gyms in the area please let us know in the comments at the end of the post, thanks. Additionally, quality options that have both a swimming pool and basketball court are also hard to come by but we would be grateful if you would let us know of any spots you may have enjoyed as well.
Spinning & Indoor Cycling Classes Near You
Some of the best spinning and indoor cycling classes for cardio near you can be found at Cyclebar in Jersey City and Hoboken. Evolution Fitness and Club Metro from the best gyms near you list also offer spinning.
Boxing & MMA Gyms
Fighting can be another great way to get some cardio and the best boxing and MMA gyms in Newark are:
- Cko Kickboxing Newark at 169 Halsey St
- Elite HE Boxing Boxeo Gym at 130 Mt Pleasant Ave
- World at 867 Broad St 2nd Flr
- Team Raposa at 269 Oliver St
- Ironbound Fight Club at 165 Vanderpool St
- Renzo Gracie Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at 172 McWhorter St
Evolution Fitness has good kickboxing classes.
Yoga & Pilates Studios in Newark
There are also many good yoga and pilates studios near you like:
- I’m So Yoga at 1186 Raymond Blvd 4th Fl
- South Mountain Yoga at 18 South Orange Ave 2nd Fl, South Orange
- Shakti Yoga & Living Arts at 1861 Springfield Ave, Maplewood
- Sacred Souls Yoga Studio at 2983 JFK Blvd #403, Jersey City
- Pulse Pilates at 155 River Rd, North Arlington
You can also find yoga classes at Club Metro and Colosseum Gym from our initial list and Evolution Fitness offers pilates. The Hot Warrior Vinyasa classes at I’m So Yoga will really help you get that sweat out.
Shakti has special yoga classes for kids and teens.
Workout Boot Camps
Those who need a little extra motivation can get it by going to work out boot camps and some of the best in town are:
- Jersey City Fit Life Boot Camp at 404 Central Ave, Jersey City
- JCF Boot Camp at 39 Erie St, Jersey City
Club Metro from the main best Newark gyms list also has bootcamps.
Barre exercises are more popular than ever and you can find them near you at:
JC Barre Studio has a combination of barre and kickboxing class that looks like a lot of fun, plus they have Mommy & Me classes where you can bring your newborn up to 18 months. They offer a variety of other lessons as well.
Best Places for Outdoor Recreation Near You
As we mentioned before the gyms in Newark are not the only places to workout. Many people prefer to run or ride bikes outside and some great places for outdoor recreation are:
- Branch Brook Park
- Independence Park
- Ivy Hill Park
- Vailsburg Park
- Riverfront Park
- Military Park
- Weequahic Park
- South Mountain Reservation
Where to Buy Sporting Goods in Newark
You may need to buy some things that will help your workout or visit the gym, and the best sporting goods stores near you are:
- Hooked On Soccer at 101 Ferry St
- Snipes at 163 Market St
- Newark Cycling Center at 2 Park Pl
- Nike Factory Store at 697 Broad St
- Modell’s Sporting Goods at 224 Bloomfield Ave, Bloomfield
- The Urban Cyclery Shop at 337-339 Central Ave, East Orange
Snipes and the Nike Factory Store are two good places to get athletic shoes. The Cycling Center and Urban Cyclery Shop are going to have the most options for your biking needs.
Home Gym Equipment
Those Newark sporting goods stores will probably have some home gym equipment, but you can also find more at:
- Assemblywiz Pro at 11-13 Rockland Ter
- Ultimate Fitness Superstore at 32 Rt 10 W, East Hanover
- Johnson Fitness & Wellness at 430 Rt 46 E, Fairfield
- Gym Source at 740 Morris Tpke, Short Hills
By the way we have also written about:
- Working Out In New York City
- Working Out In Atlantic City
- Working Out In Philadelphia
- Working Out In Baltimore
Enjoy Working Out at Newark Gyms
After reading about all of your options when it comes to great gyms, spinning classes, yoga studios, outdoor recreation spots, and places to buy equipment for working out near you should be prepared for anything. We will be back often to update this page so that these lists stay fresh.
If you think we got something wrong or if you have any of your own tips to add please use the comments at the bottom of this post to let us know. Have fun visiting the best gyms in Newark or working out in whichever way you prefer.