Last updated on July 28th, 2021
In this post we will be breaking down the best gyms in Madison plus all the things we know about working out near you to the best of our abilities in this guide. We know your time can’t be wasted so we will get right to it.
The simplest way to get this ball rolling is to list the best Madison gyms. Once they have been covered in full we will be moving on to the best studios for spinning or indoor cycling classes, as well as our favorite boxing and MMA gyms in the area.
Pilates and yoga studios near you will come next and they absolutely have to get their own sections. As the post progresses other subjects on working out like bootcamps and barre exercises will get a shout out.
Everyone reading this probably loves the gym but isn’t your only option for cardio so the top outdoor recreations areas in the region will be listed. And the best stores to buy sporting goods or home gym equipment near you will be where we end.
You can look through more of our posts on the Midwest at that link.
Best Gyms In Madison
When you want to get a great workout head to one of these best gyms in Madison:
- Princeton Club at 1726 Eagan Rd
- Capital Fitness at 15 North Butler St
- Ford’s Gym at 2114 Winnebago St
- Supreme Health & Fitness at 5555 Odana Rd
- Planet Fitness at 7475 Mineral Point Rd
- Anytime Fitness at 301 E Campus Mall
- Boulders Climbing Gym at 129 S Carroll St
- Prairie Athletic Club at 1010 N Bird St #100, Sun Prairie
- Northeast YMCA at 1470 Don Simon Dr, Sun Prairie
- Pinnacle Health + Fitness at 5973 Executive Dr, Fitchburg
- Harbor Athletic Club at 2529 Allen Blvd, Middleton
Princeton Club and Anytime Fitness are two 24 hour gyms near you. If you want to go swimming in a pool or use a basketball court then Princeton Club, Prairie Athletic Club, Pinnacle Health + Fitness, Harbor Athletic Club, and the YMCA’s are your best options.
Many of you may enjoy the group zumba or aerobic dance classes at Princeton Club, Northeast YMCA, and Pinnacle Health + Fitness. Boulders would be the best indoor climbing gym in the area.
Prairie Athletic Club, Northeast YMCA, and Harbor Athletic Club all offer childcare while you workout if you need it.
Spinning & Indoor Cycling Classes
These indoor cycling and spinning studios near you are a wonderful way to get the cardio you desire:
Additional group spinning classes can be found at Princeton Club, Prairie Athletic Club, Northeast YMCA, Pinnacle Health + Fitness, and Harbor Athletic Club.
Boxing & MMA Gyms Near You
Those who aspire to be the next world champion can get the training they need at these boxing and MMA gyms:
- Fight Prime Training Center at 1820 S Park St
- 9round Kickboxing Fitness at 6636 Mineral Point Rd
- Journey Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy at 3179 Muir Field Rd
- Canvas Club Boxing at 1831 Monroe St
- Omni Fight Club at 834 E Washington Ave #317
Princeton Club, Ford’s Gym, Prairie Athletic Club, Northeast YMCA, and Pinnacle Health + Fitness have group cardio boxing classes if all you care about is getting a sweat in.
Yoga & Pilates Studios In Madison
We bet many of you would enjoy these Madison yoga or pilates studios:
- Dragonfly Hot Yoga at 610 Junction Rd
- Inner Fire Yoga at 5003 University Ave #190
- The Studio at 625 Williamson St
- Earthview Yoga at 834 E Washington Ave #301
- Club Pilates at 2623 Monroe St #130
There are also yoga and pilates classes at Princeton Club, Prairie Athletic Club, and Harbor Athletic Club. And the Northeast YMCA also does yoga lessons.
With so many varieties of poses and techniques like vinyasa, hot, bikram hatha flow, ashtanga, power and many more we really don’t know what you are after. The links to the above studios should help you figure out which one is best for you.
Those who need a little extra motivation can get it by going to workout bootcamps and you can find some here like:
- Transformation Center at 7878 Big Sky Dr
- Burn Boot Camp at 4108 Monona Dr
- Fire Fitness Camp Madison at 4520 Verona Rd
You will also find more bootcamps at Princeton Club, Prairie Athletic Club, and the Northeast YMCA.
These barre exercise studios are another good way to get in shape quick:
Harbor Athletic Club is another spot to try out a barre exercise class.
Best Places For Outdoor Recreation
When you want to get some sun you can go hiking, running, or riding bikes outside of the best gyms in Madison at one of these outdoor recreation areas:
- Lake Mendota
- Lake Monona
- Picnic Point
- Badger State Trail
- Governor Dodge State Park
- Ferry Bluff State Natural Area
- Aldo Leopold Nature Center
- Tenney Park
- Monona Terrace
- Allen Centennial Gardens
- Memorial Union Terrace
- Lake Waubesa
- Lake Kegonsa
- Brittingham Park
- Ice Age National Scenic Trail
- Cherokee Marsh
Where To Buy Sporting Goods In Madison
These Madison sporting goods stores are great places to buy new gear or equipment:
- Fontana Sports at 216 N. Henry St
- Badger Sporting Goods at 2814 Bryant Rd
- Mad City Outdoor Gear at 6632 Odana Rd
- Movin’ Shoes at 528 S Park St
- Berkeley Running at 2852 University Ave
- Dream Bikes at 4245 W Beltline Hwy
- Rutabaga Paddlesports at 220 W Broadway
- Rei at 7483 W Towne Way
- Dick’s Sporting Goods at 237 W Towne Mall
- Cabela’s at1350 Cabela Dr, Sun Prairie
- Fleet Feet Sun Prairie at 2828 Prairie Lakes Dr #106, Sun Prairie
- Sun City Cyclery & Skates at 235 E Main St, Sun Prairie
- Fitchburg Cycles at 2970 Cahill Main
Home Gym Equipment Near You
You can find a wide variety of fitness and home gym equipment at the Johnson Fitness & Wellness Store at 2402 E Springs Dr. Of course there will be more stuff at the above sporting goods stores.
In case you might be interested we have also discussed:
- Pilates, Barre, & UFC Gyms in Milwaukee
- Pilates, Barre, & UFC Gyms in Chicago
- Pilates, Barre, & UFC Gyms in Minneapolis & St Paul
- Pilates, Barre, & UFC Gyms in St Louis
Enjoy Working Out At Madison Gyms
Now that you have read about all of those gyms, spinning classes, yoga studios, outdoor recreation spots, and places to buy equipment for working out near you your confidence should be sky high. By the way, if you notice anything we got wrong or if you have any of your own local fitness tips to share please tell us in the comments.
Have fun visiting the best gyms in Madison or working out in whatever way you enjoy the most.