Hello and welcome to this post on the best gyms in Kansas City. Covering the local fitness scene as well as possible is our only real goal here.
Starting right off with the best Kansas gyms seems ideal since they are likely why you found this page in the first place. Once they have been listed and discussed in full we will move on to the best studios for spinning or indoor cycling classes as well as our favorite boxing and MMA gyms in town.
Following that we will get into the best yoga and pilates studios in your area. A couple of types of fitness that are trending upwards are workout bootcamps and barre exercises so they will need to be broken down also.
When the weather is nice you may want to head outdoors so we will list plenty of good outdoor recreations areas in the region that will be perfect for that. And we will end this with the best stores to buy sporting goods or home gym equipment near you.
But before we get you out of here there will be a local fitness map to help you get a better understanding of where all these places are.We tried to choose places that range from downtown all the way out to the suburbs of Overland Park and everywhere in between when possible.
You can check out our other workout guides for cities around the Midwest if you are interested.
Best Gyms In Kansas City
Here is our list of the best gyms in Kansas City to get a quality work out:
- Genesis Health Club at 8600 Ward Pkwy #1002
- City Gym at 7416 Wornall Rd
- Onelife Fitness at 1261 Main St
- Quality Hill YMCA at 1051 Washington St
- Providence YMCA at 8601 Parallel Pkwy
- Cleaver Family YMCA at 7000 Troost Ave
- The Foundation Westport 24hr at 3800 Summit St
- Rokc Underground Bouldering at 3150 Mercier St #641a
- The J KC at 5801 W 115th St, Overland Park
- Life Time Fitness at 6800 W 138th St, Overland Park
- Genesis Health Club at 17800 W 106th St, Olathe
The Genesis Health Club at Ward Parkway and The Foundation in Westport are a couple of good 24 hour gyms near you. You can find a pool for swimming laps and a basketball court at all of the YMCA’s, One Life Fitness, The J KC, and Life Time Fitness.
For zumba or other group aerobic dance classes head to both Genesis Health Clubs, City Gym, Onelife Fitness, The J KC, and all the YMCA’s. Any parents that need childcare while they work out can have it provided at Onelife Fitness and the YMCA’s.
Rokc Underground Bouldering would get our vote for the best indoor rock climbing gym in the area.
Spinning & Indoor Cycling Classes Near You
The classes at these indoor cycling and spinning studios near you can help you lose weight quick:
- Mojo Cycling Studio at 4722 Broadway Blvd #220
- Cycle of Heart at 8306 N Oxford St
- Cyclebar at 5053 W 117th St, Leawood
There are some good indoor cycling studios and many of the best KC gyms also have group spinning classes like both Genesis Health Clubs, City Gym, Onelife Fitness, The J KC, and Life Time Fitness.
Boxing & MMA Gyms
If you have dreams of being the next world champ head to one of these boxing and MMA gyms:
- Title Boxing Club at 8029 State Line Rd
- Chute Box KC at 735 Southwest Blvd
- Gracie Humaita KC at 1323 Atlantic St, North KC
- 9round at 5765 NE Antioch Rd, Gladstone
- Glory MMA & Fitness at 7275 N Oak Trafficway, Gladstone
Both Genesis Health Clubs, Onelife Fitness, The J KC, and all the YMCA’s have boxing fitness classes.
Yoga & Pilates Studios In Kansas City
There are certainly many options but in our opinion the best Kansas City yoga and pilates studios would be:
- Maya Yoga at 215 W 18th St St #200
- Inbliss Yoga at 5106 NW Waukomis Dr
- Power Life Yoga Barre Fitness at 4800 Main St #G3
- Yoga Patch at 7235 Central St
- Corepower Yoga at 4725 Wyandotte St
- Pilates 1901 at 222 W Gregory Blvd #G1
- Club Pilates at 10434 NE Cookingham Dr
- Personal Best Pilates Studio at 6600 College Blvd #210, Overland Park
- Darling Yoga at 11711 College Blvd, Overland Park
More yoga and pilates classes are available at both Genesis Health Clubs, City Gym, Onelife Fitness, Cleaver YMCA, The J KC, and Life Time Fitness. You can also try the group yoga lessons at Rokc Underground Bouldering Gym.
The thing is, there are way too many varieties of poses and techniques like vinyasa, hot, bikram hatha flow, ashtanga, power and many more for us to know which you will prefer. The above studios should cover just about all of your needs.
These workout bootcamps should be able to provide the extra lift to get you through it:
- Freight House Fitness at 1618 Wyoming
- Superior Fit Body Bootcamp at 114 W Gregory Blvd
- Progress Boot Camps at 8560 N Green Hills Rd #110/#112
You will also find workout bootcamps at City Gym and all the YMCA’s.
These barre exercise studios are a great place to get a toned body:
- Barre3 at 18 W 63rd St
- Pure Barre at 8526 NW Prairie View Rd #100
- The Bar Method at 4722 Rainbow Blvd, Westwood
Another good studio is Power Life Yoga Barre Fitness from the yoga list. Plus some of the best gyms near you like both Genesis Health Clubs and The J KC have barre fitness classes for their members.
Best Places For Outdoor Recreation Near You
On a sunny day why not go hiking, ride bikes, or just be active at one of these outdoor recreation areas:
- Shawnee Mission Park
- Roe Park
- Swope Park
- Indian Creek Bike & Hike Trail
- Lakeside Nature Center
- Ernie Miller Park & Nature Center
- Cedar Lake Park
- Mill Creek Streamway Park
- Fleming Park
- Parkville Nature Sanctuary
- West Ridge Trail
- Berkley Riverfront
- Burr Oak Woods Conservation Nature Center
Where To Buy Sporting Goods In Kansas City
There will be all kinds of new gear and equipment at these sporting goods stores in Kansas City:
- Garry Gribble’s Running Sports at 8600 Ward Pkwy
- Moosejaw at 439 W 47th St
- Dynamic Discs at 2866 W 47th St
- Mickey’s Surplus at 2601 Strong Ave
- KC Running Company at 200 E 135th St
- Athleta at 429 West 47Th St
- Dick’s Sporting Goods at 8665 NW Prairie View Rd
- Nike at 211 Nichols Rd
- Play it Again Sports at 7151 W 135th St
- Nill Bros Sports at 7588 W 119th St, Overland Park
- Scheels at 6503 W 135th St, Overland Park
- Garry Gribble’s Running Sports at 11908 W 119th St, Overland Park
- Academy Sports + Outdoors at 14405 W 135th St, Olathe
Play it Again Sports is a great option for when you want to buy and sell new or used sporting goods near you.
Home Gym Equipment
Push Pedal Pull at 7119 W 135th St in Overland Park is a good place to buy home gym equipment. And don’t forget about the gym and fitness equipment at the above sporting goods stores either.
By the way we have also written about:
- The Best Gyms in St Louis
- The Best Gyms in Omaha
- The Best Gyms in Wichita
- The Best Gyms in Oklahoma City
Enjoy Working Out At Kansas City Gyms
There really are no more excuses now that you have read about all of those gyms, spinning classes, yoga studios, outdoor recreation spots, and places to buy equipment for working out near you.
It would really help us and all of our readers out if you would use the comments to let us know if there is anything wrong on this page or to share your own local fitness tips. Have fun visiting the best gyms in Kansas City or working out in whichever way you prefer.