Thanks for checking out our post on the best gyms in Baton Rouge and everything you need to know about fitness and working out near you. Within a few short minutes we hope that you will have a much better understanding of the local fitness scene.
The best gyms in Baton Rouge will be the topic of our first section, but after that we will still have a ton to cover. The best places to go for spinning and indoor cycling need to be mentioned, as well as the best boxing and MMA gyms you will find here.
The best pilates and yoga studios near you will come next. Other topics on working out like bootcamps and barre exercises will be covered as this page goes along.
Some of the top outdoor recreation areas in the city will be listed for those who prefer to work out under the sun. And following all of that we will talk about where you can buy sporting goods and home gym equipment in Baton Rouge.
Be sure to look through more of our fitness guides for the Southeast.
Best Gyms In Baton Rouge
Here is our list of the best gyms in Baton Rouge for working out:
- Calloway’s Health & Fitness at 13436 Jefferson
- Paula G. Manship YMCA at 8100 YMCA Plaza Dr
- MaxFitness at 7347 Highland Rd
- Woman’s Center for Wellness at 9637 Jefferson Hwy
- LA Fitness at 6474 Siegen Ln
- Planet Fitness at 6900 Siegen Ln
- Orangetheory Fitness at 2373 Towne Center Blvd 710
- Uptown Climbing at 10505 Coursey Blvd
- Gold’s Gym at 17097 Airline Hwy, Prairieville
- Anytime Fitness Prairieville at 17900 Airline Hwy, Prairieville
Calloway’s is a locally owned fitness center that has been in business for nearly thirty years. They have group classes for many of the subtopics that we are covering on this page and we will mention them in many sections here.
They are not a 24 hour gym but they do open early at 4:15 am on weekdays, you can go to Anytime Fitness if you need a 24 hour gym. The Woman’s Center for Wellness has a playroom with childcare every day but Sunday.
MaxFitness has some great zumba classes as well as others which we will mention in future sections. For an indoor climbing gym in Baton Rouge you can go to Uptown, they even have a counter on their website to let you know how busy they are plus they have a members only fitness area.
For those who wanted a pool and basketball court you can go to Calloway’s, the YMCA or LA Fitness.
Spinning & Indoor Cycling Classes Near You
Calloway’s has good spinning classes for those who enjoy group indoor cycling.
Boxing & MMA Gyms
Fighting can be another great way to get some cardio and the best boxing and MMA gyms in Baton Rouge are:
- Core UFC Gym Sherwood at 4520 S Sherwood Forest Blvd #110
- Core UFC Gym Acadian at 3731 Perkins Rd
- Jm Modern Jiu Jitsu at 14141 Airline Hwy Bldg 4 Unit Y
- Gracie United at 14719 Tiger Bend Rd
- BR Krav Maga at 10510 Airline Hwy C
Core UFC is an all around MMA gym in Baton Rouge that offers boxing, kickboxing, Jiu Jitsu and other types of mixed martial arts with classes for adults and kids. Gracie United has popular MMA classes for women.
BR Krav Maga not only offers great self defense classes but they also specialize in weight loss training.
Yoga & Pilates Studios In Baton Rouge
There are also many good yoga and pilates studios near you to get your fitness in like:
- Yoga Studio 90 at 655 Highlandia Dr
- Preservation Yoga at 8775 Jefferson Highway C
- Yoga Rouge at 3347 Nicholson Dr
- Yoga Path at 711 Jefferson Highway 1b
- Club Pilates at 2561 Citiplace Ct 350
- Hotworx at 4410 Highland Rd 4-A
Calloway’s, MaxFitness, and Uptown from the initial best Baton Rouge gyms list all have yoga classes and Calloway’s has pilates. Preservation and Path both offer hot Bikram yoga.
Path and Rouge both offer hot vinyasa lessons. Hotworx has 3 locations to do pilates in the Baton Rouge area. At Club Pilates you can find reformer flow, cardio sculpt, and classes for teens.
If you are after any specific pose or technique follows those links until you end up on the right studio for you. As much as we would like to give more detail when there are so many poses including vinyasa, hot, bikram hatha flow, ashtanga, power and many more it is impossible for us to break it all down.
Those who need a little extra motivation can get it by going to workout bootcamps and some of the best in town are:
- Xthetic Fizique Training at 11124 Cedar Park Ave C
- Transform FX Fitness at 17475 Opportunity Ave
- Burn Boot Camp at 6401 Bluebonnet Blvd 505
Calloway’s and MaxFitness from our main list both offer bootcamps. Xthetic offers nutrition advice along with their bootcamps.
Transform has morning and evening bootcamps as well as some on Saturday mornings.
Another way to workout that is growing in popularity is barre exercises and you can find them near you at:
- Pure Barre at 3033 Perkins Rd B
- Barre3 at 3535 Perkins Rd 380
- Body Sculpt Barre Studio at 17900 Airline Hwy South Pointe Plz B, Prairieville
Calloway’s and MaxFitness also have barre workout classes.
Best Places For Outdoor Recreation Near You
As we mentioned before the gyms in Baton Rouge are not the only places to workout. Many people prefer to run or ride bikes outside and some great places for outdoor recreation are:
- Tickfaw State Park
- Independence Community Park
- Perkins Road Community Park
- Forest Community Park
- Milford Wampold Memorial Park
- University Lake
- Greenwood Community Park
- Blackwater Conservation Area
- BREC’s Highland Road Community Park
- Bluebonnet Swamp Nature Center
- Hilltop Arboretum
Hikers will have a great time at the Blackwater Conservation Area. If you want to go kayaking visit BREC’s Highland Road Community Park.
Where To Buy Sporting Goods In Baton Rouge
You may need to buy some things that will help you work out or visit the gym, and the best sporting goods stores in Baton Rouge are:
- Varsity Sports at 2055 Perkins Rd
- The Backpacker at 7656 Jefferson Hwy
- Red Stick Sports at 5770 Essen Ln
- Massey’s Professional Outfitters at 7519 Corporate Blvd
- Purple & Gold Sports Shop at 6212 Siegen Ln
- Academy Sports + Outdoors at 10808 Industriplex Blvd
- Dick’s Sporting Goods at 9330 Mall Of Louisiana Blvd 200
- Cabela’s at 2200 W Cabela’s Pkwy, Gonzales
- Nike Factory Store at 2210 Tanger Blvd, Gonzales
The Dick’s Sporting Goods near you is your typical big box retailer that will have tons of options. Places like Cabela’s, Academy, The Backpacker and Massey’s are great for outdoor sporting goods.
You can get good prices on cheap running shoes at the Nike Factory Store.
Home Gym Equipment
Those sporting goods stores will likely have some home gym equipment, but you can also find more by visiting Fitness Expo located at 9603 Airline Hwy. By the way we have also written about:
Enjoy Working Out At Baton Rouge Gyms
Well guys, for now that is all that we know. After learning about all of those gyms, spinning classes, yoga studios, outdoor recreation spots, and places to buy equipment for working out near you you should be ready for what comes next. We will be back often to update this page so that these lists stay fresh.
If you think we got something wrong or if you have any of your own local fitness tips to add please tell us in the comments. Have fun visiting the best gyms in Baton Rouge or working out in whichever way you prefer.